Home Return Permit - A timing problem

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by canadienne:
    Bumping this thread back up because I have another question...

A friend of mine has a HRP but for personal reasons wants to enter China on his Canadian passport. I had heard that it's harder to get a visa in a foreign passport once you have a HRP, but I don't know how concrete that rumour is. Would he be more likely to get a visa in his Canadian passport from the Chinese consulate in Toronto or from the relevant authorities in Hong Kong? He has been issued a Chinese visa before in his previous Canadian passport (before he had a HRP).
    did your friend had to renounce his canadian citizenship and has he lived in HK for more than 7 years, when did apply for his hrp? is he a cbc? thanks

Hairball: Thanks for the reply. Are the Chinese consulates' systems linked with the CTS's system? I wouldn't be too surprised in this day and age if they were, but I've never heard any anecdotes suggestion that the consulates can check whether someone's been issued a HRP, so I kind of doubt it. Either way, I think you're right that he has a better chance applying outside of HK.

imparanoic: My friend was born in Hong Kong, lived there for less than 7 years and did not have to renounce his Canadian citizenship when he got his HKSAR passport and HRP last year. (If you read other threads in this forum, you'll see that someone who had HK ROA and Chinese citizenship by birth doesn't have to give up subsequently-acquired foreign citizenship in order to get a HKSAR passport and HRP.)

To OP: Sounds like you have used your Canadian passport going into China before, although you also had a Home Return Permit? Was it going well without any problems?

I'm planning to go to Hong Kong and Beijing in December, but I want to make these concerns clear first.

My friend told me not trying to use a China visa with my American passport when I'm eligible to use a HRP. Is it right?

Let's say if I really did use my American passport going to China without problems, would there be any troubles to renew my HRP afterward in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by mingming:
    To OP: Sounds like you have used your Canadian passport going into China before, although you also had a Home Return Permit? Was it going well without any problems?

I'm planning to go to Hong Kong and Beijing in December, but I want to make these concerns clear first.

My friend told me not trying to use a China visa with my American passport when I'm eligible to use a HRP. Is it right?

Let's say if I really did use my American passport going to China without problems, would there be any troubles to renew my HRP afterward in Hong Kong?
    Both times that I travelled to China on my Canadian passport were when I didn't have a Home Return Permit yet. I don't think there are any problems with travelling to China on my Canadian passport; it's more a question of whether I'd be able to get a visa on my Canadian passport (as in, whether they're aware that I have a HRP). Technically it shouldn't be a problem as the Canadian government advises its citizens with Canadian-Chinese dual citizenship to travel to China on their Canadian passports, and there is a treaty that states that China allows this.

I don't think what your friend told you is right. And I definitely don't think there will be any problems with renewing your HRP if you use your American passport to enter China.

Since you live in Toronto, you should've applied for your HK passport there at a Chinese Embassy. I applied for my temp HK id and HK passport without any problems. It takes a few months if you are not in a hurry. Once you have that, you can get a HRP in a week if you pay $200 more.

@canadienne : were you able to get everything done? How was the whole process?

I was wondering if you're able to apply for a HK Passport at the Chinese Embassy, and then at a later time, apply for a HRP...i'm in no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by yyz2hkg:
    @canadienne : were you able to get everything done? How was the whole process?

I was wondering if you're able to apply for a HK Passport at the Chinese Embassy, and then at a later time, apply for a HRP...i'm in no rush.
    You can most definitely apply for an HK passport at a Chinese Embassy at a foreign country, as well as a temporary HKID. It should take a few months. Note that you can only get a real HKID and HRP in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by pug_ster:
    You can most definitely apply for an HK passport at a Chinese Embassy at a foreign country, as well as a temporary HKID. It should take a few months. Note that you can only get a real HKID and HRP in Hong Kong.

Can a first time applicant also apply at the Chinese embassy? Or applying at the embassy is just for renewal and stuff?

First time applicant is fine. I never had an HK passport or an HK ID and I was able to get it when I applied it in the Chinese Embassy in New York. Like I said, it takes significantly longer like a few months because they mail the paperwork to HK. They have questions about my paperwork and I had to talk to an immigrant officer in HK about it. They don't take original copies and you send them duplicates of everything so you don't have to worry about losing them.

Provided that you got your temp HKID and HK passport, you can get your HRP and permanent HKID when you go to HK in 10 business days. What I did is that I went to the immigration office in the morning and they will give you a temp HKID paper thingy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Temphkid1.jpg), to pick up the HKID in 2 weeks. After I went to the China CTS with the HKID paper thingy with HK passport and applied for the HRP, pick up in 2 weeks or expediate in 1 week for $200 HK more. Both items can be picked up by you or a friend that you assign.

Last edited by pug_ster; 19-02-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pug_ster:
    First time applicant is fine. I never had an HK passport or an HK ID and I was able to get it when I applied it in the Chinese Embassy in New York. Like I said, it takes significantly longer like a few months because they mail the paperwork to HK. They have questions about my paperwork and I had to talk to an immigrant officer in HK about it. They don't take original copies and you send them duplicates of everything so you don't have to worry about losing them.

Provided that you got your temp HKID and HK passport, you can get your HRP and permanent HKID when you go to HK in 10 business days. What I did is that I went to the immigration office in the morning and they will give you a temp HKID paper thingy (File:Temphkid1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), to pick up the HKID in 2 weeks. After I went to the China CTS with the HKID paper thingy with HK passport and applied for the HRP, pick up in 2 weeks or expediate in 1 week for $200 HK more. Both items can be picked up by you or a friend that you assign.
    Did you have to apply for "verification of eligibility for a permanent identity card"? Coz it says on the the site (GovHK: Online Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card) that Applicants must be staying in Hong Kong legally when submitting applications (regardless of whether by post, drop-in or via the Internet). If you are not physically present in Hong Kong when you apply, your application will not be processed and will be treated as closed.