QMAS - Is the selection 'schedule' delayed

Closed Thread

QMAS - Is the selection 'schedule' delayed

I know the idea is that the selection panel will meet on a regular basis, without this being precisely defined.

However, from what I've picked up on forums etc the 'schedule' ordinarily seems to be quarterly - Feb, May, Aug, Nov.

The immigration dept website still has 23rd June as the last published results. I'd have expected, in theory, an august selection with results published mid-Sept.

I submitted an application, received early Sept, hoping to be in the mix in November. Does anyone who's currently in the process know where things are at date / timing-wise?

Wow. Mine took many months once it was submitted. If you are from the mainland, maybe you have a better chance, as most of the visas being granted are for mainanders.

Well my application was received in August. I called immigration in mid-September and they told me that I'll have to wait at least six months until I know whether or not I've been invited for the "interview".

Jeez.....that is bad news!! At least 6 months suggests their unofficial quarterly timetable has come completely off the rails.

After reading a paper around the relative success of QMAS / Investment visas that was discussed at LEGCO in Jan I had hoped that the outcome would be even more momentum.....but it seems the opposite. I wonder what's changed behind closed doors? I guess for my early Sept receipt, it'll be well into 2011 before I hear....if successful, I'd hoped to interview in Jan and be in HK just after CNY.

Thanks for the input though cweb. It's useful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by hkbrit:
    Jeez.....that is bad news!! At least 6 months suggests their unofficial quarterly timetable has come completely off the rails.

After reading a paper around the relative success of QMAS / Investment visas that was discussed at LEGCO in Jan I had hoped that the outcome would be even more momentum.....but it seems the opposite. I wonder what's changed behind closed doors? I guess for my early Sept receipt, it'll be well into 2011 before I hear....if successful, I'd hoped to interview in Jan and be in HK just after CNY.

Thanks for the input though cweb. It's useful to know.
    Not sure that you are understanding the process correctly. This is taken from the official gov't site:

"Selection exercises will be done on a regular basis for quota allocation to applicants. During each selection exercise, applications which satisfy both the prerequisites and the minimum passing mark (under the General Points Test) or the one point-scoring factor (under the Achievement-based Points Test) will be ranked according to scores awarded. High scoring applications will be short-listed for further assessment.

My reading of that is that the selection panels are only the first stage in the assessment process and that how long you wait would depend on your ranking.

I see your point hullexile. It just seems that there had been a reasonably conistent quarterly pattern of actual 'selection' (Feb, May, Aug, Nov) with a grouping of successful results posted online within 15 days.

The last group posted (106 successful applicants) was on 23rd June (presumably in relation to the May-ish activity). So, in theory, the next set of successful applicants should've been posted roughly a quarter later, mid to end of September. But, as we're now into October it looks like the pattern of quarterly announcements has slipped.

If (and it's a big if - I don't know if this is the case) they've got to the point where the number of applications exceeds the quota then I imagine there would be quite a step change in the processing time - now there has to be an extra step whereas before anyone who met the points threshold was automatically approved, as I understand it.

As much as I hate to accept, it is possible that that's related to there not having been a posting for the August selection yet. The volumes of QMAS threads on this forum certainly seems to have gone up in 2010. Not exactly a scientific measure, I know, but it could be an indicator.......