what documents are all needed?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

what documents are all needed?

hi. can someone help me?
    im just so clueless about this.
    what exactly are all documents needed in order for one to live and work in HK? i know working visa is needed but that is to follow by your employer, but what about residence visa? is there such thing?
    or what about working permit? im so confused. can someone shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by stardust82:
    hi. can someone help me?
    im just so clueless about this.
    what exactly are all documents needed in order for one to live and work in HK? i know working visa is needed but that is to follow by your employer, but what about residence visa? is there such thing?
    or what about working permit? im so confused. can someone shed some light?

You will need a passport to get the work visa and then once you get the work visa you can apply for your HKID which is just proof you are a resident of Hong Kong and general ID for use in signing contracts, for police, hospitals etc.

That is all you need to be able to stay here.

If your company are taking care of the visa, it should be a piece of cake. The visa application has several parts to fill and you send this with evidence and photos etc. Your company should advise but HK immigration website will clarify this.

As chigger said, apart from that, you have to apply for you ID card within a month of arrival. This is a pretty straightforward process too. Book a slot over the phone, take your passport and give yourself a couple of hours, that's it.

Having said that, stardust82's other posts indicate that they are a Chinese citizen (implicitly a mainland Chinese). In that case the process is different and somewhat harder. I'm not sure of the details, but I believe it includes getting some sort of formal permission from yyour "home town" to leave China.

thanks for the replies guys. so just one more follow up question - if i were to go and look for a job - and of course i will be taking a tourist visa only which would last for a min of 14days - i could already apply for the HK id? i was under the impression that i can't,. not unless i have someone to sponsor me for a residence visa and to live there in a minumum of 7 yrs!! so it means with residence visa - i can stay there in HK for as long as i want? is that how it is? so sorry about the questions. ive been reading the immgration website and quite got it mixed up - its like im preparing for a law exam all over again.lol
    did i get it wrong? i read it in immd.gov.hk btw

oh one more question hehe - what would be the benefits of having your hk id? i mean w/ or w/o hk id i can legally search for jobs right?
    i do understand the process of working visa though.

ok just to sum up - i get a tourist visa, which would last for 14 days but if someone is to sponsor my resident visa, say a godfather, i could stay there for as long as i want right? and then i can get my hk id? and then the job hunt. is that so?

>pls disregard previous post. can't edit it anymore<

thanks a lot for everyone's help.

No - there is no such thing as a "resident's visa". You could only get an Employment Visa or a Study Visa, for which you would need to find a job or a suitable educational course first.

When you have one of the employment or study visas then you automatically get a HKID card.

The only other way would be for you to marry a HK Permanent Resident, but even then there are special restrictions and requirements for people from the mainland which would make it quite difficult for you to move to HK (unless you marry someone like the ex-financial secretary).

Last edited by PDLM; 10-01-2007 at 03:41 PM.

You need to get a work visa, a HKID is issued to those who are "residents" of HK. That means you are staying here for an extended period of time. There is no special benefit other than the ability to stay in HK and sign contracts etc for yourself here.

In order to get a work visa you must find a company that will sponsor you for a visa and hire you. They must prove to HK IMMD that you should be given a visa as a local person would not be more suited for the role and why.

Your visa will be renewed every year by your employer and you can only work for one company unless you apply to change your job and the same requirements met.

After 7 years you will become a perm. resident and be able to work for the companies of your choice and not have to go through anymore visa paperwork.

ok.gotcha. thanks so much for quick responses. im crossing my fingers, hopefully i could get in

ok one last thing. correct me if im wrong - technically speaking, i can only stay for 14 days. but if i told the immigration that i have a godfather that is currently inviting me to come to his place- will they allow me to stay in HK for at least 3 months? if so, would anyone here know if there are like supported documents needed to prove that it is such? like a relationship document perhaps? thats how i understood the rules in immd.gov.hk

btw - im chinese citizen (taiwan) not really from china.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast