Like Tree12Likes

Do the 150 unskilled Chinese immigrants get welfare benefits?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Really? And those who were born in the Mainland suddenly jumped across this cultural gap when then came to live here? Just to be clear, more than one-third of the ethnic Chinese population of Hong Kong was born in the Mainland. (Source: http://www.bycensus2006.gov.hk/FileM..._981/f106e.xls )

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Really? And those who were born in the Mainland suddenly jumped across this cultural gap when then came to live here? Just to be clear, more than one-third of the ethnic Chinese population of Hong Kong was born in the Mainland. (Source: http://www.bycensus2006.gov.hk/FileM..._981/f106e.xls )
    Come on. I'm not saying good or bad here, but living habits, customs, worldviews are very very different just talk to locals and Mainlanders and compare. Born on the Mainland has nothing to do with it, the place were one has grown up in is.

I have lived extensively in both places, just the compare a simple thing the difference in attitudes between the two.
    Last edited by Gatts; 05-11-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Do you live here? Culturally alone there's a pretty wide gap between HK'ers and Mainlanders.
    Yes I do (for 8 years and married to a chinese)

and since ppl seems to have problem reading what I said...the meaning of my post is probably 80% (or more) of HK population is originally (directly or second generation / 3 rd generation) from mainland china hence.....

They think they are superior here, but there are the same, no worse, no better.

I'm not talking about the culture or stuff like that. Even the culture between Xinjiang and Sichuan, Beijing is different so that's not the purpose of my post...
    Last edited by Mat; 05-11-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Come on. I'm not saying good or bad here, but living habits, customs, worldviews are very very different just talk to locals and Mainlanders and compare. Born on the Mainland has nothing to do with it, the place were one has grown up in is.

I have lived extensively in both places, just the compare a simple thing the difference in attitudes between the two.
    Again not what we are saying. You do not even have ONE culture in mainland china so don't see how you would compare to HK....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    A lot of that is related to superficial things like spitting on the street as well as inside, smoking everywhere, leaving trash, sitting on the floor of the MTR, and my personal favourite - letting their kids urinate or defecate on the street or the nearest trash bin or better yet ashtray (anybody else seen that on the mainland?). If I was a local HK person I'd feel a bit superior too.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Han is an ethnicity much like Tibetian, Uygur, Mongolian, Hmong. Hakka, Taishanese, Fujianese, Chiu Chow, etc are all variations of the Chinese language.
    I think you are wrong in your statement, i gather your chinese history or understanding is a bit lacking or not up to scratch

Tibetian + Uygur ( significant differences) , Mongolian and Hmong (closest) are really not a variation of chinese language (both written or spoken) or culture, their roots is neither chinese or from china, they are enthic minority who just happen to be in china or in their homeland when china taken their soverignity, thus, part of the chinese mainland.

look in wikipedia so you can determine and understand the difference.
    Last edited by imparanoic; 05-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Han is an ethnicity much like Tibetian, Uygur, Mongolian, Hmong. Hakka, Taishanese, Fujianese, Chiu Chow, etc are all variations of the Chinese language.
    Hey HongKong Foot, you're partially right. Hakka, Fujianese, Taishanese, and Chiu Chow are part of the Han ethnic group.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

I'm not talking about the culture or stuff like that. Even the culture between Xinjiang and Sichuan, Beijing is different so that's not the purpose of my post...
    Hmmm.....I cannot speak for the rest of China, but I have lived in Beijing for two years. What I find interesting are the values and morals shared among people in Beijing in their 20s and 30s are very different from the people I've met who were brought up in Hong Kong. Not better or worse. Just different.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I think you are wrong in your statement, i gather your chinese history or understanding is a bit lacking or not up to scratch

Tibetian + Uygur ( significant differences) , Mongolian and Hmong (closest) are really not a variation of chinese language (both written or spoken) or culture, their roots is neither chinese or from china, they are enthic minority who just happen to be in china or in their homeland when china taken their soverignity, thus, part of the chinese mainland.

look in wikipedia so you can determine and understand the difference.
    i think he was perfectly right, though you might have overlooked the dot.

tibetian, uygur, mongolian and hmong are ethinicities.

hakka, taishanese, fujianese, chiu chow are languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    A lot of that is related to superficial things like spitting on the street as well as inside, smoking everywhere, leaving trash, sitting on the floor of the MTR, and my personal favourite - letting their kids urinate or defecate on the street or the nearest trash bin or better yet ashtray (anybody else seen that on the mainland?). If I was a local HK person I'd feel a bit superior too.
    Sure instead they shove on the MTR, bumped into you when you walk....you want more?

it is just plain stupidity.
    dermotp likes this.