Like Tree12Likes

Do the 150 unskilled Chinese immigrants get welfare benefits?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    I think you need read a bit clearer, if you had paid attention to what I wrote you will notice that there is a period at the end of the first sentence.
    My apologies Hong Kong Foot. I didn't see the period.

The question is, why cant they behave the same way on the mainland as they do in HK?
    agreed....many of the HK people I work with...as soon as we cross the border they just start throwing garbage out car windows, and spitting on grounds and all sorts of things they wouldn't do here in HK.
    Skyhook, Beuze and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    ...no they are not eligible for welfare. However if they have family in public housing, etc then no issues to live with them.
    I don't see what the problem is then, but why the opposition to them showing up here? Like other residents, will they be eligible for permanent residency in 7 years time and then become entitled to welfare pay-outs/benefits?

F.A.O. PDLM:

I am not Chinese but, as a tax-payer, I'd be pretty pissed off if anyone were to show up here and immediately become entitled to welfare benefits without making their share of contributions to the economy, and even more so if their local relatives, upon whom they are said to be dependent, are welfare recipients themselves.

Reading these posts you would think Hong Kong was in a different country to the rest of China

One interesting thing did happen last week though, I was on the MTR with my parents who are in their 70's. A group of mainlanders got up and offered my parents their seats without asking. Its something that you see universally even on the mainland.
    True. This act of courtesy is lost among a lot of people (esp. men) in Hong Kong. Like what HongKongFoot says, most of the people, whom I have seen, who have offered seats to elderlies and pregnant women in Hong Kong are from the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Reading these posts you would think Hong Kong was in a different country to the rest of China
    It's bringing out the Republican in us!

You better get used to the idea of becoming part of the mainland, because the HKSAR, SZEZ and possibly ZHSEZ are penned to merge as one SAR/SEZ . That's the game plan in the not so distant future.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

What I notice is that the media and the older generation scaring the younger kids about weird stories. I always hear locals talking about how dangerous going to the Mainland is. Take off all your jewelry, hide your money, careful of this and that. Of course when I ask them if any of this has happened to you, they always say "no, but it happened to a friend of a friend" or something of that nature.

I have been to SZ, GZ and different parts of Guangdong province many many times and not once have I had any encounter that I felt was dangerous.

There is a huge difference between the mainland and HK, up north at the border you can see the differences. Once you leave HK immigration and head to the Mainland side, there is trash everywhere and people spitting on the floors, etc.
    this only indicates hong kong is faster at cleaning. its the same people who goes from 1 side to the other side.

shenzhen and guangzhou are dirty. so is hong kong when you compare the southern cities to the rest of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    so is hong kong when you compare the southern cities to the rest of the country.
    are you saying Beijing is cleaner then HK?
    i would disagree to that. just been there earlier this year, and it was a dump. the forbidden city was covered in trash everywhere, and no one cleaning up except homeless people. there was literally no cleaning staff to be found anywhere. rest of city was similarly dirty.