Like Tree12Likes

Do the 150 unskilled Chinese immigrants get welfare benefits?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Do the 150 unskilled Chinese immigrants get welfare benefits?

One of the biggest gripes from local Hong Kongers are the 150 unskilled mainland immigrants who are allowed to immigrate to Hong Kong each day. The official reason for this immigration is to reunite them with their families.

Hong Kongers seem to hate this and say that these mainlanders are soaking receiving welfare benefits such as public housing.

Is this really true though? I was under the impression that mainlanders get the same benefits as any other immigrant. Meaning they do not qualify for welfare benefits for 7 years.

Am I mistaken?

Remember that only for a pretty small minority of Chinese residing in Hong Kong were they and both their parents born here, so it smacks of hypocrisy to me.

Ah, the big hypocrisy on here!

MOST Hong Kong people have parents or grand parents coming (or still living) in China.

They are no different from Mainlanders.

Of that total, do you classify the subquota of 60 children as 'unskilled workers'? Seems your question is rather loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    That is a comment that would make Beijing proud! So if all HK'ers are the same as mainlanders that asserts that all mainlanders are the same?

Anyway to the OP, no they are not eligible for welfare. However if they have family in public housing, etc then no issues to live with them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    That is a comment that would make Beijing proud! So if all HK'ers are the same as mainlanders that asserts that all mainlanders are the same?

Anyway to the OP, no they are not eligible for welfare. However if they have family in public housing, etc then no issues to live with them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Jay Kay, dont start twisting it. you know exactly what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean but having lived in eastern NT for last 6 years where there is a huge Hakka population the comments wouldn't sit too well with some. Huge amounts of etnicities on the mainland, many of who get grouped with Han including Cantonese and Hakka.

So it's just really a more of a keep eyes open statement not a twist on what's said.
    Posted via Mobile Device

just to give some numbers:

in 1945 Hong Kong had a population of about 600k. in 1950 this jumped to 2.5 million, mostly migrants from China fleeing the big brother north. since then and especially in the 50s and 60s due to Mao's brilliant economic strategies, this has grown to 7 million people today, of which about 700k are indigenous, mostly living in the NT.

most hong kong people that have some wealth are almost without exception immigrants from China, mostly Guangzhou and Shanghai.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    I know exactly what you mean but having lived in eastern NT for last 6 years where there is a huge Hakka population the comments wouldn't sit too well with some. Huge amounts of etnicities on the mainland, many of who get grouped with Han including Cantonese and Hakka.

So it's just really a more of a keep eyes open statement not a twist on what's said.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    yes this is true indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Ah, the big hypocrisy on here!

MOST Hong Kong people have parents or grand parents coming (or still living) in China.

Do you live here? Culturally alone there's a pretty wide gap between HK'ers and Mainlanders.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast