Like Tree5Likes

Permanent Residency

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Permanent Residency

OK, I have read this

CLIC - Immigration: Hong Kong permanent residence
    CLIC - Immigration: Hong Kong permanent residence - Do I have to be present in Hong Kong for 7 years continuously before I can acquire the status of permanent resident?

but please can someone tell me - does that 7 years have to be on the SAME visa?

I will lose my dependent visa next Sep (due to divorce) but if I can get a work visa by then I hope to get permanent residency the following year (by June 2012 I will have been in HK 7 years).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DAQUIRI:
    OK, I have read this

CLIC - Immigration: Hong Kong permanent residence
    CLIC - Immigration: Hong Kong permanent residence - Do I have to be present in Hong Kong for 7 years continuously before I can acquire the status of permanent resident?

but please can someone tell me - does that 7 years have to be on the SAME visa?

I will lose my dependent visa next Sep (due to divorce) but if I can get a work visa by then I hope to get permanent residency the following year (by June 2012 I will have been in HK 7 years).

Thanks
    I think you are correct in that assumption, it doesn't matter if you get another visa, as long as you reside here continuously for 7 years, without any breaks, if you do the clock goes back to zero.

Yes, as gnr says. I have heard that you might get away with a gap of a week or two between visas, particularly if the application for the employment visa is in before the dependant visa expires. But in general it doesn't matter what type of resident visa you have been on for the seven years so long as they have been continuous.

Hey PDLM and GnR,
    Can you tell me what do you guys mean with this statement:
    "as long as you reside here continuously for 7 years, without any breaks"

What kind of break is it?
    How long we can assume a break? 1 month? 1 year?

Btw, I also heard about there is a chance someone can get PR in 5 years stay for working in HK. Your feedback would be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you're away for a year, you haven't been living have you? You've been resident elsewhere. A few weeks should be fine.

No, it's 7 years - as written in law (Cap 115, Sec 1). No time off for good behaviour.

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

I have seen exceptions as it's policy driven. You have to explain absences of 6 months or more but if you can show your residence didn't change you might still get it. I know one individual who got having been absent from HK for 14 months due to her in law's terminal illness.

The keyword is "continuously".

A friend of mine did a time out for some travel for a month or so between two job - he did NOT fulfill the 7 years continuously criteria.

Try to avoid any gap and talk to ID ASAP.

You can leave for long periods of time though under certain circumstances. I think say if you were a kid and went to study in the USA for a few years whilst having your family home in HK and come back for Christmas blah blah that time would still count.

You don't actually have to live here to be ordinarily resident and you can be ordinarily resident in 2 places as far as I know. (Eg Hong Kong and USA) where HK is your home and USA is where you're living to study. There is a lot of information on Google.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Studying is the exception, although I believe there is a limit on that. The onus is on the applicant to prove the 7 years' residency so if you are away have suitable evidence for absence.

Ok thanks for the feedback guys
    I usually just go back for 2-3 weeks maximum to Indonesia. Let me know if there's any feedback again.
    regards

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast