My estraged father was born in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

My estraged father was born in Hong Kong

My father was born in Hong Kong. So, I should have Right of Abode, right?

But the problem is, he divorced my mother and moved away; I have not seen him in over 10 years so I don't know how to find him. I don't have any of his Hong Kong documents (e.g. passport) either. How can I apply for Right of Abode through him?

Alternatively, is there a way I can live in Hong Kong and earn income from overseas legally (I am Canadian citizen)?

Pretty impossible as you need both your birth certificate with his name on as well as a copy of his ID card.

I have my birth certificate with his name on it. Is there any way I can request a copy of his ID card from the HK government?

As it happens I was at Immigration yesterday and submitted all relevant paperwork there.

As long as you submit the relevant forms and a photocopy of the birth certificate and all necessary details, such as his full name, d.o.b and if at all possible his actual i.d card number then you should be o.k.

Best bet is to confirm this with the immigration website in hk themselves.

If you say say that your parents divorced after your were born, then you were born in wedlock - parents were married at the time of your birth. There are no requirements for being born in wedlock for Right of Abode. I'd check with the immigration department first. You'll need your estranged father's, birth certificate, Permament Hong Kong Identity card and many other supporting documents. If all goes well, you may be eligible for the Right to Land - freedom to work, study and live in Hong Kong with no restriction.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 22-01-2007 at 06:12 AM.

Thanks, I've e-mailed the Hong Kong immigration website ([email protected]) to ask about my situation.

BTW, is there a way to acquire a copy of my father's birth certificate? I don't have one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yumiko:
    Thanks, I've e-mailed the Hong Kong immigration website ([email protected]) to ask about my situation.

BTW, is there a way to acquire a copy of my father's birth certificate? I don't have one right now.
    You'll have to get that through your estranged father. There's no other way. That's the key document that will get you the status.