My Late Father was a Hong Kong national

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Late Father was a Hong Kong national

Hi all
    I was born in the UK and have a British Passport, My mum is also British with a British Passport.
    My Father Passed away in 2003 over here in the UK - He Had a british passport although he is chinese, his family are all in Hong Kong, he was born there and had an Hong Kong Identity card.
    I have a copy of my fathers Passport, Birth Cetificate, death cetificate and hopefully his ID card somewhere.
    I have alot of family over there that can help but they are a little slow in finding out information for me.
    My sister got a Identity card during the British-China Change over.
    I am planning on moving over to hong kong at the end of this year when i graduate from University to learn the other half of my culture and work.

I want to apply for a Hong Kong ID card but am unsure whether it is possible - and i dont have a clue about how to go about doing it.
    Do i apply before i go over, can i apply online or in England anywhere?
    What documents will i need?
    I heard that the place in Hong Kong where u apply still has a massive queue everyday - how true is that?

I was wondering what ID card i would be elegible for? Would i be able to get a permanent one?

Last edited by killahbad; 23-01-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Best to email immigration on [email protected] ... to find out what is possible.

The queue is not bad at all. If you get to immd by 9AM, you'll be out by 11-noon.

Look around for a thread about an estranged father .. that has a fair bit of recent discussion.

Killahbad, I know someone with almost an identical background (scary isn't it!). His father is still alive and lives in London. When my friend went to HK Immigration with all the supporting paperwork they didn't even need to meet his father and he (my friend) was granted a permanent ID card after a few interviews and weeks. Things may have changed but I suspect not in this respect so you should bring everything over and go to Immigration Tower when you are ready for the Spanish Inquisition. The long queues are mainly associated with the foreign domestic helpers on a different floor.

what are the implications of me working over in hong kong?
    i was wondering whether or not i would need a visa to work if i am granted an HK ID card as my dad was chinese.

No you won't need a visa if you're granted a hk i.d.

And as per to what disco said, As long as you have your fathers details, d.o.b etc and his name is on your birth certificate etc then you should be o.k.

My father died when I was 3 thus of course I don't have a copy of his I.D card, Luckily though his I.D card number was on the paperwork from his lawyers dealing with his estate, So I submitted a copy of that when handing in my paperwork at immigration.

I finish Uni this summer and wanted to apply for jobs prior to moving over to Hong Kong around August time.

I was wondering if it was possible to have someone apply for the HKID card for me over in Hong Kong so i can ensure on my job applications that i have one.

So in short can someone apply for the HKID on my behalf

If so how would i go about giving them the documents. Photocopys?
    Or sending over the originals?

That last message comes across as if i am requesting one of you to apply for me.
    It was meant to simply inquire to as whether it would be actually possible for an application for my HKID could be carried out by someone else whilst i am over here in England.
    I actually have a cousin who is going to do the application and running about for me. (They just dont know it yet)

Nope i gotta go apply by myself in person.

Someone told me i may not be entitled to HKID because my mum and dad weren't married. Anyone know if thats true?

You're either going to get a permanent ID (Right of Abode or Right to Land) or none at all. If your sister got one (whilst not being long term resident in HK) then I guess the fact that your parents weren't married (assuming she is your full sister) wouldn't be an issue, although this surprises me since nationality often follows the mother or place of birth in the case of illegitimacy (that's the legal term, no negative connotations intended).

rahhh, not what i was wanting to hear!
    My sister is actually my half-sister, her mother was also born in hong kong.
    Whereas mine wasn't and my mum and Dad were never married.
    DAMN

hate this stuff - I've e-mail immigration with all the details to see whether they may grant me a HKID or not.
    Seeming less unlikely as time goes by.

Its mad how Marriage can count for something so much in a society where its becoming worthless.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast