Like Tree1Likes

Help with RTL application

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I don't know the answer to that, but since that's all you could possibly do then there's nothing to lose by trying.

too be honest, the fact she/he should dedicate time and enquire /actually applying for an id card instead spending hours debating on expat hk forums esp. if they have nothing to lose.

the real question ( presumed the op's mother is still in uk) is the cost of a flight ticket at GBP550-650 would the risk to attempt to apply for hk id card? would that be a waste of money if it is unsucessful? at the end of the day, that the only thing the Op or her/his mother has lose on this issue.

if the cost seems not worth the bother at least attempt to write/call/fax hk immigration to see what are the likeliness chances of sucessfully case based on her facts and documentary evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    too be honest, the fact she/he should dedicate time and enquire /actually applying for an id card instead spending hours debating on expat hk forums esp. if they have nothing to lose.

the real question ( presumed the op's mother is still in uk) is the cost of a flight ticket at GBP550-650 would the risk to attempt to apply for hk id card? would that be a waste of money if it is unsucessful? at the end of the day, that the only thing the Op or her/his mother has lose on this issue.

if the cost seems not worth the bother at least attempt to write/call/fax hk immigration to see what are the likeliness chances of sucessfully case based on her facts and documentary evidence.
    I think this is the same case that she emailed me about earlier. The fact that she's asking about her mother makes me think that she's probably older, and this is something that takes quite a bit of effort.

Even my own rather trivial case to get RTL in Hong Kong cost me thousands of Canadian dollars for 2 visits.

PDLM, I know you have good intentions but I feel many things you write here are purely based on assumptions and might discourage some readers.
    I assume you have not been through this process or for you it was rather smooth?

I have,and my case was a mess, similar to batty's case

"settled" refers to the visa status at the time of birth.
    limited vs unlimited stay

I also disagree with another statement you have made here but I don't want to elaborate on this any further.

Rather I would like to point out that the HK IMMIGRATION DEPT has the say,
    and they are VERY understanding,supportive, and generous. At least in my case.

Thanks for the comments and the PM. I try not to make assumptions - what I try to do is gather together and process the bits of information from both the official websites and discussions such as these, and other sources such as Hairball's excellent page.

We have no disagreement over the meaning of "settled" in principle, although since people can have the right of abode in multiple countries without being settled in them then it can't always be so simple.

As you allude to, I probably mis-stated (or at least over-stated) the issue of legitimacy.

If someone is claiming ROA through a BDTC (British Dependant Territory) status father pre 1997 then legitimacy is key.

However, it appears that under Chinese Nationality law it is less so. Hairball's excellent page covers this whole area in great detail. Note though that you're going to need some evidence to support an assertion that someone is your father if you're claiming citizenship through him, so that's either going to need a marriage certificate, or his name on your birth certificate, or (perhaps) a DNA test.

Last edited by PDLM; 18-11-2010 at 11:33 PM.

It's true that we have nothing to lose, but imparanoic is also right in stating that a plane ticket to HK + accommodation expenses are going to be hefty, just for the fact that the applicant needs to be physically present in HK to make the ROP(145) application. I emailed ImmD last night and still haven't heard anything from them but I'm hoping it'll be soon.

What we do have to lose is time. Applications normally take 6-8 weeks to process and to be honest, my mom wants to go back and live in HK and I just want to see that everything goes smoothly for her. It just seems kinda ironic that practically everyone in our family has ROA in HK (including her dead father, her sister, all her half-brothers and cousins) but she's the only one who doesn't. Well, I don't have ROA either but I care the least about that. If I knew that trying to claim ROA is hopeless, I would be putting more effort into helping her with applying for residence under the CIES, which is the other option for her. But investing $10m and to make things worse, not being able to use real estate as a permissible investment asset, has been really off-putting, so I've been thinking hard to see if there's any other way she can get residence in HK.

"If I knew that trying to claim ROA is hopeless"

Well,you can't possibly know it because you are not the decision maker.
    You are trying to approximate the result, which I personally feel is a BIG mistake.

The whole process can be very smooth or might take a little longer.
    In your case I would say budget in 3 to 9 months.
    I spent 12, partly because I was on snailmail mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    "If I knew that trying to claim ROA is hopeless"

Well,you can't possibly know it because you are not the decision maker.
    You are trying to approximate the result, which I personally feel is a BIG mistake.

The whole process can be very smooth or might take a little longer.
    In your case I would say budget in 3 to 9 months.
    I spent 12, partly because I was on snailmail mode.
    I think the processing time for the CIES would be a bit faster than that... lol. She's already sold her house so really she's looking to move to HK as soon as possible. This was just an alternative route of securing residence that I thought of for her but I never imagined it could take so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty:
    I think the processing time for the CIES would be a bit faster than that... lol. She's already sold her house so really she's looking to move to HK as soon as possible. This was just an alternative route of securing residence that I thought of for her but I never imagined it could take so long.
    I'm sure PDLM will point this out as he loves to, but legally speaking she can't just "move" to HK unless she has an appropriate status to live there. She can stay as a tourist, and maybe do visa runs a couple of times.

But I guess if she is eligible ROA, there are legitimate reasons to have her stay there extended while the application is being processed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:

But I guess if she is eligible ROA, there are legitimate reasons to have her stay there extended while the application is being processed.
    Just would like to ad IN MY CASE there was no need to be physically present in HK
    except for two occasions
    a. to submit the application ( although I am not sure whether this can be waived)
    b. to verify the documents you have submitted during the application process,
    the very last step when they ask you to produce the originals at their office.
    For point b. you better are present as some questions ' might come up'
    You wil receive a letter with an appointment date.
    So here is another point, you better provide a mailing address in HK with someone who informs you quickly on incoming mail and can scan it in for you.
    The Immigration Dept did not solely work through email last year.