Like Tree2Likes

Need your help about Dependent spouse visa

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

4. No degree is harder in HK but nothing is impossible. He should network.

thanks! I like that, thanks for your encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by buffalowing:
    Thanks for your reply!

I read the IRS website, no matter citizen or resident both have to pay tax.
    True, but if you leave the US you can give up your residency and stop paying taxes. I believe this is easier to do than renouncing your citizenship.

I would be surprised if a lot of locals with additional American citizenship would pay taxes in the USA. I know two (a couple) and they've never heard of this and neither have all their friends who moved back from the USA

Doesn't that rather defeat the point of having the citizenship since they would be likely to be detained whenever they try to enter the US (having it as a bolthole in case the commies take over is the reason for having the passport isn't it?)

there is the other side to consider. what if you have a kid? divorce, custody issues. the threshold to pay foreign tax is not low. there are ways to work around the tax issue. its not easy to get a us tourist visa if you cant get a visa waiver. there are always pros and cons.

Thanks for all!

I want to keep my citizenship for future visit my in-laws once a year. It is very true that getting a tourist visa is hard. I applied my student visa 10 years ago then later on work visa and green card, there are alot of drama already. Therefore, I can't wait everything is done and no need to deal with them!

Anyway, it is good to know I can apply his dependant visa in US.

1. Do you think I should the address in US or in HK?
    2. Can I send it by myself or send it to my brother and let him hand it to immigration?
    3. Thanks for all of your help!

Buffalowing

Buffalowing - really - the point about taxes is quite serious. I work with a number of people who have American citizenship (or dual citizenship) and they have to pay a FORTUNE in tax once they start being successful. OK, so maybe right now you are young and don't earn much, but in the future, if you strike it big and start earning over about 55000HKD per month, then you have to pay BIG taxes on it! Not really worth saving hassle for once-a-year visa! At least think about it. I'd never take American citizenship for this reason. Get something else - like Canadian - if you can - then you get easy travel around the world without tax issues.

Getting a Visitor Visa to the US for someone married to a US citizen must be absolutely trivial (Mrs PDLM got a 10 year visitor visa to the US with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever, and she is married to a Brit, not an American). Paying large amounts of taxes for the rest of your life just to save the hassle of one visa application every 10 years is ludicrous.

I live in the Philippines and since I am still a Canadian citizen, I do not have to pay my yearly income taxes anymore to the Canadian Government, mainly because, I severed most of my ties with Canada. You still can keep a regular bank account there, but no real estate properties anymore or children in Canada. I have to pay income taxes in the Philippines, if income earned locally. Once I earn an income from Canada, a withholding tax of 25% has already been taken off, and that's my only tax liability then, without any filing of Canadian tax forms.

I don't know if the USA has the same system as what you have in Canada? If yes, your husband may work towards the same situation to severe all ties with the USA.

As I understand it the USA does not have this arrangement.