Minimum stay for work visa

Closed Thread

Minimum stay for work visa

If I obtain a work visa in Hong Kong and my position is based in Hong Kong, what is the minimum number of days I must spend in Hong Kong each year?

Absolute rubbish. There is no minimum requirement. You simply have to be able to show that HK is your residence. Many people resident in HK travel more than 180 days per year on business - I certainly did for one or two of my seven years and there was no problem at all from ImmD.

I agree with PDLM, plenty of business types will travel more than 180 days a year, as I fully expect to. But I do think there is a minimum, maybe 30 days or so.. Was hoping someone knew for sure or can point me at an official website.

Note that the test for "residence" (I.e. having an Employment Visa) is less strong than the test for "continuous Ordinary Residence" (i.e. the test for Permanent Residence after 7 years).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Harsha, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Harsha:
    PLDM-- What you are saying is correct, but why would the HK Immigration grant an EMPLOYMENT VISA to a Candidate if he/she are going to travel most of the time. The company can save the cost and just simply get Travel Pass for them right!
    No company is going to worry about saving HK$160. And the reason Immigration would grant it is if you meet the criteria and are resident in Hong Kong for the purposes of employment. You must have a Visa of some sort if your place of residence is Hong Kong (unless you have Right of Abode / Right to Land).

I was travelling 200 days per year, but all my belongings were in Hong Kong in the only apartment that I rented anywhere, so there was no doubt that HK was my place of residence and therefore I required an Employment Visa.

as far as i am aware... there isnt a requirement for the minimum number of days you have to stay.... as long as your work (contract) is based in hk