• 1 Post By carang
  • 1 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By Char Siu King
  • 1 Post By carang
  • 1 Post By bryant.english

Visa enquiry (dependent?)

Closed Thread

Question Visa enquiry (dependent?)

Hi - I stumbled across this site in my search for information on the process of emigrating from the UK to HK. I'm a British citizen, but my Wife is originally from HK and holds a HKID card.

We currently live in the UK - but are assessing our options and looking into what would be required in emigrating to HK. I've read quite a few helpful posts on here and now think I have a better understanding of the process.. (I think!).

Am I right in assuming that we would be able to emigrate to HK and I would need to apply for a dependent visa (ID997 form)? and that is the only visa I would need to apply for in order to live and work in HK? - then after 7 years I could apply for an HKID card??

sorry for the questions - I'm just trying to clarify exactly what is required!

you are partly correct.

there are 2 types of HKID cards; (1) HKID for residents (including work visa & dependent visa holders) and (2) HKID for permanent residents.

HKIDs do not in and of themselves confer any status. they are merely for identification purposes. Every person, if here for more than a month on a visa MUST apply for a HKID. Once you have been here for 7 years of continuous residence, then you can apply for Permanent Residence and therefore a PR HKID.

pangster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    you are partly correct.

there are 2 types of HKID cards; (1) HKID for residents (including work visa & dependent visa holders) and (2) HKID for permanent residents.

HKIDs do not in and of themselves confer any status. they are merely for identification purposes. Every person, if here for more than a month on a visa MUST apply for a HKID. Once you have been here for 7 years of continuous residence, then you can apply for Permanent Residence and therefore a PR HKID.
    thanks for your prompt reply!!..

My Wife was originally born in HK and holds a Chinese and British Passport as well as a PR HKID card - so she has the right to work and live in HK.

So to clarify - If we were to move to HK then all I would need to do would be to apply for a dependent visa (which would give me the right to live and work in Hong Kong) and an HKID card?

Seems a lot easier and more straight forward than what I was expecting... I guess finding a job is the hard part

yep, now you've got it...

pangster likes this.

I thought you could only apply for dependent visa and work if the sponsor was not a HK permanent resident. PR seems to change things. Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    I thought you could only apply for dependent visa and work if the sponsor was not a HK permanent resident. PR seems to change things. Anybody?
    Only if the spouse that's applying for the Dependant Visa is from the Mainland. That's the exception. Spouses of HK PRs from (almost) anywhere else can apply for Dependant Visas as Carang has described.
    pangster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pangster:

So to clarify - If we were to move to HK then all I would need to do would be to apply for a dependent visa (which would give me the right to live and work in Hong Kong) and an HKID card?

(
    Almost as easy as that. You, or actually your wife, needs to prove 2 things: that you have a place to live and that she has a job that can support you. As far as I understand this does not have to be a high paying job and there is no set limit per se. Granted she has these 2 things it's easy as pie. The forms are quite straightforward and the process from start to finish can take as little as 4-6 weeks if everything is in order.
    pangster likes this.

don't think she even needs a job so long as you and she have substantial savings, that should be ok, too.

pangster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    I'm a 'dependent' of my HK wife. Just out of curiosity, can I ask what your name means? If you're from the UK it kind of sounds offensive...
    pangster likes this.