passport renewal

Closed Thread

passport renewal

I have a quick question - my passport expires in 2019 but I have to get a new passport issued quite soon because the current one only has two empty pages left.

My Hong Kong work visa (endorsed with that yellow sticker in my current passport plus HKID) expires in August this year (09/11).

Once I get my new passport, will I need to take it to immigration to transfer the work visa? Or can I continue as usual and only take in the new passport when renewing the work visa in August?

Thanks!

Before the French consulate let me keep my old passport with my visa sticker on it until the end of my Hk visa. Then when it was time to renew my visa they stick it to the new passport and i ditch the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    Before the French consulate let me keep my old passport with my visa sticker on it until the end of my Hk visa. Then when it was time to renew my visa they stick it to the new passport and i ditch the old one.
    I don't know what your country does, but for me, I just go to the consulate and ask them to add pages to the passport and its free. Did it two times in the last few years. Its very inefficient to keep issuing new passports, especially to people who live in Asia and need a visa to go almost everywhere.

You can choose either to carry both passports until 9/11 or pay HK$160 to ImmD to get the Visa applied in the new passport. When it comes to extension of your visa you just apply with your new passport.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    I don't know what your country does, but for me, I just go to the consulate and ask them to add pages to the passport and its free.
    If you're American, packy_crusher (I'm assuming you are, as it's the only country I know of that lets you add pages), it's no longer free: It's $82 (U.S.) to add pages, and $110 to renew. But you can still do either at the consulate.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    I don't know what your country does, but for me, I just go to the consulate and ask them to add pages to the passport and its free. Did it two times in the last few years. Its very inefficient to keep issuing new passports, especially to people who live in Asia and need a visa to go almost everywhere.
    What's the meaning of your username? Green Bay Packers? Most people from the UK or Canada I would think find it kind of vile. Do you know the reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    What's the meaning of your username? Green Bay Packers? Most people from the UK or Canada I would think find it kind of vile. Do you know the reference?
    Char Siu King I think you are reading too much into the meaning of their ID. Now if it was Paki....

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    Char Siu King I think you are reading too much into the meaning of their ID. Now if it was Paki....
    Bundh is much better username

"Go Packers"
    Last edited by ricdan; 11-01-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    Naah, I know it's not intentional and of course the spelling is different. I'm sure packy crusher means nothing by it. Just an observation. I've heard 2nd generation Canadian buddies been called that P word and it's as bad as the N word IMO and I sure would not pick an ID that sounds like the N word...