Right to Land

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Right to Land

Hello people,

Having been born in HK, I previously had the ROA till the age of 21. Unfortunately, however, I never went back to HK to renew this.

My question is this: Does having had the ROA till the age if 21 now allow me the RTL, or does a person need to have held the full ROA in order to obtain the RTL?

Any ideas how I might find this out conclusively, as the HKID website doesn't really cover the issue.

Many thanks.

My brother once had ROA then never visited HKG. 11 years later he came to HK on a visitors visa and applied for verification and got Right to land.

You will probably be in the the same boat if your not a Chinese national.

Yup anyone who has ever had Permanent Residence and then lost it gets Right To Land. See GovHK: Loss of Hong Kong Permanent Resident Status

That's great. Thanks guys.

Just to confirm, the 'temporary right of abode until the age of 21' and living in HK for 10 years made me a permanent resident, thus giving me the RTL?

I just want to make sure that losing the temporary right of abode, like the regular right of abode, confers the right to land. I'm concerned I may not have the RTL, as technically, I never had the ROA but only the TROA until 21, and the legislation is quite opaque.

If you had the Right of Abode (even the "under-21" version) then my understanding is that you are entitled to Right to Land. But the only way you'll ever get a definitive answer is to apply. What have you got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    If you had the Right of Abode (even the "under-21" version) then my understanding is that you are entitled to Right to Land. But the only way you'll ever get a definitive answer is to apply. What have you got to lose?
    Thanks again PDLM. Much obliged.

Just a question, if I have the Right To Land, does that make me a permanent resident? Reason I'm asking is I'm applying for jobs right now and a lot of them have a requirement of having to be a Permanent Resident.

Strictly it doesn't, but for all practical purposes it is the same thing. The problem is that some HR departments are quite ignorant of the Right To Land status. I think if I was in your situation I would claim permanent residency and sort out the fine print at the point you get the job offer. Make sure you can quickly point to the relevant ImmD documents defining Right To Land so that you can nip any issues in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Strictly it doesn't, but for all practical purposes it is the same thing. The problem is that some HR departments are quite ignorant of the Right To Land status. I think if I was in your situation I would claim permanent residency and sort out the fine print at the point you get the job offer. Make sure you can quickly point to the relevant ImmD documents defining Right To Land so that you can nip any issues in the bud.
    The major exception to this would be if you are applying for civil service jobs, in which case you do actually have to be a permanent resident.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast