Like Tree1Likes

Visa Possible For Teaching English with no Degree?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Visa Possible For Teaching English with no Degree?

Hi all,

A friend from the States has a TEFL certificate (I believe it's CERTA) but she did not finish college so no degree. She has about 15 years work experience in an administrative position so her writing/speaking skills are excellent but no teaching experience yet.

Is it even possible to get a work visa if she finds an employer willing to hire her? Does anyone know if Taiwan or Mainland China is easier in this situation? I think some countries are quite strict about this.

Thank you!

As long as a solid application goes in there should not be a problem with immigration. Biggest issue I see if getting a company this is willing to apply for the visa. Which lots seem lazy due to the paperwork involved and maybe companies want to start part time to see how well you do.

I am not sure if Taiwan or China is easier.

a few years ago, i applied to immmigration for 2 employees. they both had degrees, tefl and teaching experience (not teaching english though) both applications were rejected. immig said that there were many people, with the same qualifications, in HK already that could take up these positions.

i think that it would be HIGHLY unlikely that immig would approve a visa for your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    a few years ago, i applied to immmigration for 2 employees. they both had degrees, tefl and teaching experience (not teaching english though) both applications were rejected. immig said that there were many people, with the same qualifications, in HK already that could take up these positions.

i think that it would be HIGHLY unlikely that immig would approve a visa for your friend.
    I got my TEFL online and have never spent a day at post secondary. In fact I didn't even take a proper English course in high school but my visa got approved for teaching English.

Granted we beefed up my application a little. Highlighed every bit of training experience I had and made myself sound pretty good. But, I didn't lie about any training/work experience. Immigration never called to check on anything. They called my company once for more financial information, then called me to tell me I was approved.

my experience was back in 2002, so things may have changed since then...the other thing was we were a very small company just trying to hire our first employees...made it REALLY DIFFICULT for the company. not only that but it took immigration 8 months to say no!!!!

congrats on your visa!

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    I got my TEFL online and have never spent a day at post secondary. In fact I didn't even take a proper English course in high school but my visa got approved for teaching English.
    Same here! Shouldn't be an issue as long as you have some training/coaching experience to back up your application.

In fact My TEFL certificate is not even needed as I do not wish to teach, I could tippex the name out and sell it for oh $3000, Any takers?
    Last edited by jimbo; 23-02-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Teaching Requirements By Country

My husband & I are retiring in HK in about 6 years and we both thought about getting our teaching certificates here in canada before we go in case we wanted to teach English to make some extra money. I found this website which explained the requirements for each country and was surprised to see that you need a university degree for HK & Taiwan but not for China.

Check it out.
    http://www.oxfordseminars.com/Pages/Teach/asia.php

Betty

try Shenzen or Zhu Hai , they are in need of lots of English Teacher here in China.

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    try Shenzen or Zhu Hai , they are in need of lots of English Teacher here in China.

i have a bachelors degree in translation and interpretation (english-turkish,turkish-english) and i have been teaching english at the prep classes of a uni here in turkey...but i think of moving somewhere over there and go on teaching stuff there...so could you plz tell me how i could find a teaching job there in Shenzen or Zu Hai Mr. Mengfei? do you have some useful link for example for application?
    thanks in advance

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast