Like Tree9Likes

Getting a work visa for NET jobs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    As with investment banks and international law firms, the big accounting firms can and do sponsor visas for some (admittedly a small number) of new graduates from the US/ Europe/ Aus. If he can land a job at EY/ KPMG/ PwC/ Deloitte or maybe somewhere like Grant Thornton, the visa isn't a problem. But, these jobs are few and far between, the recruitment is on a highly structured timeframe and only top graduates are selected. If the boyfriend meets the recruitment criteria for one of the big four, his chances of getting a visa fresh out of school are good.
    I was referring to his changes of an NET job, as per the question above my post.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    I think you've misunderstood the nature of accountancy qualifications there hello_there. Very few people take them because they have a burning desire to be an accountant, it's just good to have a backup plan if your life goes pear-shaped.

It's very much like learning to cook stinky tofu. Not many poor people in China dream of spending their lives cooking stinky tofu and going home every night smelling of the aforementioned foodstuff but there's always demand for it and if that dream job carrying bricks on a construction site doesn't work out you can always fall back on hawking tofu.

Law and accountancy qualifications are the affluent middle class equivalent of teaching your kids how to cook stinky tofu
    Are we talking about qualifications from the same country?!? I was responding to HKW, who said her BF was getting an accounting degree from the US. When I was in uni in the US very few people were accounting majors that didn't go on to become qualified accountants (you can't easily just pick it up later if your other plans don't work out). Similarly, regarding US law qualifications, at least 3 years of postgraduate work is required and few people undertake the time and expense required to get a law degree after college unless they actually plan to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I was referring to his changes of an NET job, as per the question above my post.
    Your statement "No experience, no relative qualifications, only the ability to speak English... seriously, what do you think? He needs qualifications and experience just as a starting point." was very broad.

My point was that in some industries you do not need experience to get a work visa (law, accounting and investment banking with the right organizations just being an example of employers who can successfully get work visas for kids just out of school without real world work experience).

Also, I know several NET teachers (admittedly at second rate language centers) with very minimal experience (something like 20 classroom hours) who got jobs and visas in HK. Not the best jobs, but they did get their foot in the door.

Are we talking about qualifications from the same country?!? I was responding to HKW, who said her BF was getting an accounting degree from the US. When I was in uni in the US very few people were accounting majors that didn't go on to become qualified accountants (you can't easily just pick it up later if your other plans don't work out). Similarly, regarding US law qualifications, at least 3 years of postgraduate work is required and few people undertake the time and expense required to get a law degree after college unless they actually plan to practice.
    Even as we speak, Luckycat is sitting behind his lawyering desk dreaming of being a ballerina, hoping nobody notices he's wearing a tutu. If his parents hadn't made him take a law degree he'd still be practicing his arabesque in his bedsit, waiting for that call from the Royal Ballet that we know will never come.
    bryant.english likes this.

As with investment banks and international law firms, the big accounting firms can and do sponsor visas for some (admittedly a small number) of new graduates from the US/ Europe/ Aus. If he can land a job at EY/ KPMG/ PwC/ Deloitte or maybe somewhere like Grant Thornton, the visa isn't a problem. But, these jobs are few and far between, the recruitment is on a highly structured timeframe and only top graduates are selected. If the boyfriend meets the recruitment criteria for one of the big four, his chances of getting a visa fresh out of school are good.
    We thought of getting into the big 4 too..we thought it would be the easiest way for him to come to HK and at the same time continue his accounting career..but got a friend working in PwC and asked him sth abt job relocation..he said the PcW usually only relocates ABC (American-Born-Chinese) to HK..so that they can save the visa fee and solve language problems..after hearing this news..we were really defeated.
    Is this situation the same in other big 4s?

Your statement "No experience, no relative qualifications, only the ability to speak English... seriously, what do you think? He needs qualifications and experience just as a starting point." was very broad.

My point was that in some industries you do not need experience to get a work visa (law, accounting and investment banking with the right organizations just being an example of employers who can successfully get work visas for kids just out of school without real world work experience).

Also, I know several NET teachers (admittedly at second rate language centers) with very minimal experience (something like 20 classroom hours) who got jobs and visas in HK. Not the best jobs, but they did get their foot in the door.
    Hello_there, are your NET teacher friends from the US too? 20 hours teaching experience seem pretty easy to achieve. Do your friends have any English certs? Did they take the Toefl exam n stuff?

If he is an accounting major WTF would he throw away four years of education to teach English (unless for some strange reason he majored in accounting but really should have majored in education because he planned to teach all along)? If he doesn't get an accounting job right out of school, either in the US or elsewhere, he can kiss his accounting career goodbye. He/you are taking a very short-sited approach to the future.
    our first preference will surely be him getting an accounting job in HK...but that's really hard..Off course i dont want him to waste all his efforts studying in accounting and kiss his career goodbye but at the same time..we dont wana say goodbye to our relationship bc of long-distance..so NET teacher is just a back up plan..at least this is seemingly the easiest way for him to come to HK

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    I think you've misunderstood the nature of accountancy qualifications there hello_there. Very few people take them because they have a burning desire to be an accountant, it's just good to have a backup plan if your life goes pear-shaped.

It's very much like learning to cook stinky tofu. Not many poor people in China dream of spending their lives cooking stinky tofu and going home every night smelling of the aforementioned foodstuff but there's always demand for it and if that dream job carrying bricks on a construction site doesn't work out you can always fall back on hawking tofu.

Law and accountancy qualifications are the affluent middle class equivalent of teaching your kids how to cook stinky tofu
    Wise words. Now for those of us with 'mixed' children... I'm assuming I should send her to stinky law school? Or would tofu accounting be wiser?
    HKW likes this.