Like Tree54Likes

An 'Interesting' Scenerio...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Yes, but fact remains, I wouldn't have been able to justify a work visa, so I'm very happy I was given the chance. I have no intrinsic right to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvarza:
    well, I made it to the airport. And waiting to go (tomorrow). After reading these responces, It seems I may as well enjoy the trip for what its worth - going during CNY and such. I will still try, I always do. I do not, however, have any intent of breaking any sort of laws, I know under a tourist visa I cannot work.

I am now though worried about the return ticket. If I recall correctly, when I went there in January 08, they didnt ask to view the return ticket then, but things may have changed. Would they ask for it in the airport in Hong Kong, or before I board the flight here in the States?
    Which airport are you departing from? I have been asked for return tickets or a resident/work visa/ID by AA and CX at DFW, SFO, LAX & JFK. I am not sure about the HK immigration as I go through the E channel.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Yes, but fact remains, I wouldn't have been able to justify a work visa, so I'm very happy I was given the chance. I have no intrinsic right to be here.
    At the time you had just as much right to work here as in, say, Glasgow. All there is to be grateful for is that those rights were preserved when HK was handed over to the Chinese.

@ PDLM, why do you have this particular fixation with immigration rules? If someone comes on to this forum asking where they can walk their dog you're there 5 minutes later asking them about their visa status.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    At the time you had just as much right to work here as in, say, Glasgow. All there is to be grateful for is that those rights were preserved when HK was handed over to the Chinese.
    Not so simple. UK passport holders don't have the right to work in Bermuda, for example, which is a colony just as HK was.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Not so simple. UK passport holders don't have the right to work in Bermuda, for example, which is a colony just as HK was.
    ditto The Falklands

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    ditto The Falklands
    I "worked" in the Falklands without a visa. Although, there was a bit of a "conflict" going on at the time.

I believe that prior to 1 January 1983 you would have done. As I understand it, all citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies had the right to work in all colonies before that date. But I could be wrong, and, frankly, it's of historical interest only so I can't be bothered to spend much time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    frankly, it's of historical interest only so I can't be bothered to spend much time on it.
    What, something immigration-related you have no time for?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    @ PDLM, why do you have this particular fixation with immigration rules? If someone comes on to this forum asking where they can walk their dog you're there 5 minutes later asking them about their visa status.
    Possibly because so many people think they can just move countries and have no idea that they need a visa. At least he catches those before they leave home, spend a fortune and risk a huge disappointment. for those that have it sorted, it's just a check-box.
    Dreadnought likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast