Like Tree1Likes

questions about Dependant visa renewal ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

CO - Conditions imposed on stay (i.e. that their sponsor remains resident); born Overseas.

with regards to what to put in the field above, I was told best practice is to write "at your discretion".

I was under the impression you need to apply for an extension at least 1 month before the expiry of your current visa, due to the time it can take to be processed. So better get moving :-)

thank you.

i have a question about this topic..
    does anyone have trouble when applying the renewal of visa?
    if my spouse got a job, will the immigation dept. still consider he is a "dependent"?

No, provided that your situation is unchanged.
    Yes, unless he specifically applies for change of status (but there's no reason to do so - a dependent visa is much more flexible than an employment visa.

Hi,
    Would like some advice about my situation.

-I am on a depandant visa (from my spouse who was born in HK) that will expire on August 5;

-I understand that I am able to renew the visa about 4 weeks prior to the expiry date;

-I understand that one must physically be in HK in order to renew and pickup the renewal (even if somebody does it on my behalf)

-I will not be in HK from May onwards and plan to return on August 4 and then go to the immigration headquarters to renew on August 5.

my questions are:

1. Will I still be able to enter HK on August 4?

2. will I have any problems with the renewal given that ? (our family situation has not changed).

3. What if I don't make it back to HK until August 15, will I still be able to enter HK on the visa (or must I enter as a 'tourist'). I hold a Canadian passport

4. Assume I enter after August 5, will I have to submit a full application for dependant visa again or may I simply submit a renewal application.

I would like to return to HK before August 5, but cannot due to various reasons.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

As a side question; my spouse has been on the mainland (for work purposes) between 6 and 9 months during the past year, will that be a problem for my renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I believe two weeks before expiration would be normal.

For an extension of an existing visa the documentation requirement is not as onerous as initial application. You merely have to show that your circumstances haven't changed.

I know the immigration department always says u can apply to renew your visa 1 month before the expiry date. But I know someone who applied his visa 3 months before expiry and they didnt stop him. So u can try and apply earlier

zumpi123 likes this.

Like neha said--applying before you leave HK is the best way of handling it. Explain that you don't think you'll be back before the visa expires.

That said ...

1. Yes

2. No, but you'd better submit your renewal application that same day

3. No, you'd have to enter as a 'tourist'

4. You can always attempt to "renew" it but you'd probably have to write them a letter explaining why you didn't apply to renew it earlier. Try it and cross your fingers. Worst case, you have to do the whole thing over again.

side question: no.

Best solution: apply before you leave, like neha said.

Be prepared also to justify to ImmD that you continue to "ordinarily reside" in Hong Kong. You can't, in principle, simply pop in for a few days every year or two to renew. Remember also that if you are hoping to get PR you will need to prove to ImmD's satisfaction at that time that you have ordinarily resided in Hong Kong continuously for the preceding 7 years.

in any case i don't think you have any issue getting your dependent visa.
    if the immigration don't allow u to renew your current visa due to late submission, you can resubmit all forms and make it as new case to reapply your dependent visa. i think the process should take about same time.

i remembered that my spous entered hk first and applied the dependent visa.
    the immigration department will extend her tourist visa when she can't receive her dependent visa within time.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ:
    Hi,
    Would like some advice about my situation.

-I am on a depandant visa (from my spouse who was born in HK) that will expire on August 5;

-I understand that I am able to renew the visa about 4 weeks prior to the expiry date;

-I understand that one must physically be in HK in order to renew and pickup the renewal (even if somebody does it on my behalf)

-I will not be in HK from May onwards and plan to return on August 4 and then go to the immigration headquarters to renew on August 5.

my questions are:

1. Will I still be able to enter HK on August 4?

2. will I have any problems with the renewal given that ? (our family situation has not changed).

3. What if I don't make it back to HK until August 15, will I still be able to enter HK on the visa (or must I enter as a 'tourist'). I hold a Canadian passport

4. Assume I enter after August 5, will I have to submit a full application for dependant visa again or may I simply submit a renewal application.

I would like to return to HK before August 5, but cannot due to various reasons.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

As a side question; my spouse has been on the mainland (for work purposes) between 6 and 9 months during the past year, will that be a problem for my renewal?