visa run for my mum

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

visa run for my mum

thinking of asking my mum to stay for a longer period. As a Brit she gets 6 months, how often could she do a visa run (perhaps leaving the country for a few days rather than the Shenzhen day out). Anyone got any experience for Brits?

Yup, no more than twice as a rule otherwise they start asking questions.

Aren't you a PR? If so you could get her a dependent visa (given that she is, presumably, over 60)

As your mother is not going to work here and you have HK ID and your mother will stay with you I can't see it being a problem. I don't think immigration will ask any questions.

As you know, some Brits used to go to China every week for a day or so whilst working in HK without a permit or ID and never got stopped. Although we do occasionally hear of guys who do get bounced.

However, as your mother is not working and is not doing anything illegal even if she did get stopped I can't see a problem. You are supporting her, she is staying with you and there is no restriction as to how many times she can enter/leave HK. Under the rules I would assume she is entitled to 180 days each time.

I'm not sure if she will be given 180 days each time. I've read quite a few threads on this forum about people being denied entry after two or three runs.

I think if she gets one of those six month business visas to China and leaves once every two to three weeks, they won't be as suspicous. It's better to have a bunch of Hong Kong entry stamps for shorter periods of time compared to have one or two for periods going near 90 days or 180 days for British Citizens. I have an Australian friend that works in Shen Zhen and his passport is filled with pages and pages of Hong Kong entry and departure stamps. He comes to Hong Kong quite often. As long you don't give them the idea that your'e here to stay longterm, they won't be suspicous.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 10-03-2007 at 12:50 AM.

She could easily stay for years by leaving and coming back in more than just the absolute deadline..not looking natty or tough is the key.

What I meant to say was, it will help if one does not look like a domestic helper

deleteduser

I've been doing 'runs' every 3 months for over a year now. So far, no questions asked, and no problems *knock on wood*

Since I don't work here, andam not looking to work here, I don't think they care that much. Your mom should be fine.

People do it for years on end. Just like hiring part time maids even though it's mostly illegal.

Thanks for all your views. PDLM, no I am on an employment visa not a PR. Looks like it should be OK as at 80 she does not look like a domestic helper and certainly not a Wan Chai girl!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast