View Poll Results: Given my scenario... what are my chances of extending my stay?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent Chance - no problem

0 0%
  • Good Chance - might be some challenges

1 4.55%
  • Fair Chance - might work, might not

6 27.27%
  • Poor Chance - doesn't look likely

13 59.09%
  • No Chance - no way it's gonna work

2 9.09%
Like Tree23Likes

Fell in love with a HK girl... now what? Best options for prolonged stay in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I wondered "What would Bill do?" So I just said no. It was true. It was a Sunday evening about 5:30 pm and I was standing at the border - definitely not working then.
    Give the man a cigar!
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterLock:
    Howard - Actually my present situation is almost exactly what you've described... my business, clients, house, car, friends, etc. are all back in the USA and I have no problem proving this. I don't work in HK... and I'm not trying to establish residence here... just stay here for a prolonged period until my girlfriend and I decide what's next.
    Perfect! Then stick to that story (I dont work here, I dont live here), bring your evidence and dont forget to bring/show something that tells immg that you wont be a sponge and you have plenty of money.

Then the only thing left will be to grovel, be extremely nice, plead, put on lovesick puppy eyes etc etc and hope for the best. There is no guarentee but if you are very nice and can convince the office of your genuiness, you might have a chance. They will have the power to let you stay or boot you out.

Last but not least : you may want to take the opportunity to expedite your plans. Getting married is the easiest way. Even if you get a pass now, next time you may not be so fortunate.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

HC
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 18-02-2011 at 04:14 PM.

I say you're screwed, somwhere between minorly and majorly.

You cannot claim you were just visiting HK - they are the Immigration Department, they have access to your entry and exit records, they know you've been living here for a year and doing visa runs.

You cannot in any legal way live in HK with a tourist visa and work for foreign clients.

You cannot get married between now and your interview.

Do not tell them that you're here to be with a girl. At best it won't help, and at worst it's a clear admission that you're living in HK illegally.

I would say ignore Howard's advice about showing that you won't be a sponge. You're not trying to convince them to let you be a resident, at this point you're trying to convince them not to deport you and ban you from re-entering HK.

Presumably your business is registered and tax-paying in the US? Potentially that makes you a tax dodger in HK, if you've been living here and working...

Frankly, I'd say you want to say as little as possible about the girl, as little as possible about work and money, and try to persuade them that you've been here on an extended visit, traveling around Asia, and that you have no intention of staying here or doing any work.

(Also, yes, a friend of mine who may happen to share the same name has used the "No, I'm not working right now because I'm at Immigration at the airport right now" trick... it does actually work)

pinkinhk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    You cannot claim you were just visiting HK - they are the Immigration Department, they have access to your entry and exit records, they know you've been living here for a year and doing visa runs.
    No sir, I was not living here. I was just visiting. I still have my home, car, business, bank accounts, club memberships, taxes and cat as well as dog back in USA which is my main home. I was vising Hong Kong for a year to be with my true love.

You cannot in any legal way live in HK with a tourist visa and work for foreign clients.
    I have not been working in Hong Kong. You see I have a very successfull business in the USA which is running very well with all my employees. Yes, I do call them and email them from time to time but I dont currently work as I'm on the other side of the world with my true love.

You cannot get married between now and your interview.
    Do not tell them that you're here to be with a girl. At best it won't help, and at worst it's a clear admission that you're living in HK illegally.
    I came here on vacation and have stayed here for a year to be with my true love. I would like to stay longer to be with her.

I would say ignore Howard's advice about showing that you won't be a sponge. You're not trying to convince them to let you be a resident, at this point you're trying to convince them not to deport you and ban you from re-entering HK.
    I have a lot of money in the bank which should go a long way to show you that I'm not here to work. I can support myself with my savings, all I need from you is your permission to stay and visit longer. This will allow me to be with by true love and hopefully we will decide to get married within the next 1-2 years.

So, please allow me to continue my visit for 6 more months I beg you. I would like to be with my true love...

HC

Ah, no, you're right - I forgot about the "Rich People in Love Visa Ordinance" of 2007 under which normal visa rules don't apply to... rich people in love.

Here's hoping you don't get ditched and be put up in a serviced apartment whilst being an Illegal immigrant like a certain poster on here claims.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Dreadnought and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Ah, no, you're right - I forgot about the "Rich People in Love Visa Ordinance" of 2007 under which normal visa rules don't apply to... rich people in love.
    You also forgot the "White people get a lot more leeway Ordinance" of 1991 which (unfortunately) still in force today.

Fact is, if you are monied and white and polite, they will let you get away with a lot;
    If you are relatively poor and the wrong skin color and/or from the wrong part of the world, they will find a way to throw your butt in jail.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You also forgot the "White people get a lot more leeway Ordinance" of 1991 which (unfortunately) still in force today.

Fact is, if you are monied and white and polite, they will let you get away with a lot;
    If you are relatively poor and the wrong skin color and/or from the wrong part of the world, they will find a way to throw your butt in jail.

HC
    His story is not going to work with the HKI. I know of someone who tried to pull off something similar and ended up getting a 1 week visa the next time he left HK and after a few more trips they somehow got him to leave.

I would not bring the girl to the interview. I would not mention that you want to reside in hong kong. I would have a good travel plan and you are using hkg as your base. Show that you are loaded and you don't need to work at all. Don't forget, you are now in hong kong on a tourist visa. Do touristy things.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I have not been working in Hong Kong. You see I have a very successfull business in the USA which is running very well with all my employees. Yes, I do call them and email them from time to time but I dont currently work as I'm on the other side of the world with my true love.
    I think any person with an IQ above 90 will have a hard time believing that you're not working remotely. This is Hong Kong. No-one except for the filthy rich can afford to serenade their girlfriend all day for 12 months.

I have a lot of money in the bank which should go a long way to show you that I'm not here to work. I can support myself with my savings, all I need from you is your permission to stay and visit longer. This will allow me to be with by true love and hopefully we will decide to get married within the next 1-2 years.
    The solution then is very easy. Simply get out of Hong Kong, fly back to the US, apply for the investment visa, wait a month or so, then return with a legitimate status. Load up your Skype credit, I am sure you will be fine being away from your "true love" for a brief time. Many of us here have had to make a few sacrifices along the way.

If you don't want to do this (and I note you said somewhere "I am not trying to establish residence here, just want to stay for a long period") then bad luck. You cannot come to another country and try to create your own visa category.

Sorry to be so gruff but I have a hard time stomaching much of your story.
    JaredHK likes this.