Limit of stay 7 years

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I do rent, but the lease is in my roomates name and the utilities are in the landlords.

I have bank accounts, income statements and cell phone bills.

And where are you paying tax on the commissions? Hong Kong or China?

Hong Kong company, so Hong Kong.

@ aliendavid1: You can not lose your RTL no matter how long you are leaving HK.

It is similar to ROA, the only difference being that with RTL you can be deported from HK in certain cases, with ROA you can't.

If you are non-Chinese citizen you will lose ROA if you're leaving HK for more than 3 years, you will get RTL instead. AFAIK Chinese citizen will never lose the ROA.

Other than that RTL gives you the same rights as ROA, you can vote, work, live where ever you want etc.

Eh? RTL's can't vote as far as I know. Moreover, children of RTLs born in HK don't automatically get ROA (or RTL).

And to be clear, for a non-Chinese to keep ROA, it is necessary simply to be in HK once every 36 months. This could be done whilst in transit at the airport, simply by passing through Immigration and back out again.

Last edited by PDLM; 11-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Presumably children of an RTL parent (assuming the other partner wasn't an ROA holder) would need to get a dependent visa?

Simple answer is yes.

Yes, I believe so.

Another disadvantage of being an RTL is, for instance, not getting an entitlement to, say, the HKD$6k rebate, as not technically a "Permanent" resident

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    I ask this because i have RTL, and i frequently travel to China. My job is also as an "independent contractor" where i make commissions and no salary.

I just want to know how to prove after 7 years that i was residing in Hong Kong, with all the extensive travelling.
    From memory, when I applied for PR about 10 years ago, I wrote a supporting letter detailing each significant absense from HK (according to stamps in Passport) and I included a reason for each. I was at boarding school and university for 3-5 months at a time and that seemed to be ok with them - as long as I maintained HK as my permanent home (my family lived here so it was easy to prove).