Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carang

Family Dependency Visa

Closed Thread

Family Dependency Visa

Hi,

I'm currently under 18 with my parent living in Hong Kong on a work visa, changing to a PR in 2012. I have researched the process and found that it seems relatively easy to apply and obtain one of these, but what I want to know is how long they last for?

I will be 17 by the time I go to Hong Kong (July) but my birthday is in late August - I read that the application process takes 6 weeks, so I will nearly be 18 by the time the visa would be completely processed. Is this a problem?

Lastly, when it comes to renewal, what do I renew it to if I am over 18? Or am I unable to renew it once this happens?

Thanks

I'm confused. Are you on a Dependant Visa or an Employment Visa?

And are you currently living in Hong Kong or only coming here in July?

PR is not a Visa it is a change of status from conditional stay (needing a visa) to unconditional stay (not needing one). PR doesn't need renewing, although it does need reissuing when you reach 18 assuming you still meet the criteria.

I'm confused too.

Since you say you're going to HK in July I assume you are not living in HK now and you do not have a visa for HK at the moment. I also assume it is your parent who is going to be a PR in 2012.

If your plan is to get a visa as a dependent of your parent, I'm afraid it would only be valid until your 18th birthday.

Otherwise it would follow your parent's visa, or up to 3 years if the parent is PR/RTL/unconditional stay.

Hi there, thanks for the replies.

Sorry about the confusion - I'll clarify now.

My parent is the one on a work visa becoming a PR in 2012.

I will be going to HK in late June/July. So when I get this visa, it expires on my 18th birthday? There's no way I can renew it to be able to work after my birthday legally? What do other kids around 16/17 who just moved to Hong Kong do?

I've read something about being able to extend the conditions - I may be getting an internship (depending on the visa how ironic), would this show I need to stay to continue training or something?

Lastly, YC9, so if my parent has a work visa for X amount of time, I too will be allowed to stay for X amount of time, or are you saying this is the case if I am under 18?

Can any of you see anyway round this? I am going to need this visa to if I am to complete these internships.

Thanks again

i'm not sure, but if you have a dependent visa and you are going to school/university, you MAY be able to continue on a dependent visa....would have to consult immigration about it, though.

My understanding is that if you get a Dependants Visa whilst under 18 and you continue to ordinarily reside in Hong Kong (which means you can go overseas for study so long as you come back to HK in the vacations) then as long as your sponsor remains here then you can get the visa renewed. I think we'd have heard about it if loads of expat kids were getting kicked out on their 18th birthday!

Well, if you are under 20 you can get a study visa for secondary education, so the expat kids wouldn't get kicked out at age 18, not if they were actually living with their parents and going to school here at the same time. They would just have to continue their residency on the ground of being a student rather than being a dependent.

The Guidebook for Entry for Residence as Dependants in Hong Kong is very clear that extension would not be granted if the eligibility criteria are not met (para 12), which in this case includes being under 18.

Since it says the length of stay for dependents "will be linked to that of their sponsors" there is a chance you could get it until your parent's work visa expires. Personally I am not optimistic about that, since IMMD is obviously going to know the date of your 18th birthday and I imagine they would take this into account.

Many of my friends are in British boarding schools, do they still get the study visas?

In response to Carang I will be going to University and will be able to prove this.

Do any of you have an reccomdations for what I can do? Or is there no feasible way I will be able to do an internship after my 18th birthday?

Thanks again
    Posted via Mobile Device

best suggestion?

contact immigration directly... MUCH better than asking a bunch of immigration consultant wannabe's...

dipper likes this.