Changing from work visa to visitor's visa without travelling to Macau?

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Changing from work visa to visitor's visa without travelling to Macau?

    My work visa expires tomorrow. I am no longer employed with my company and will be sticking around HK for another week for vacation and finalizing my move back to Canada.

    I was planning to take the ferry to Macau in the morning and stay through until Tuesday, returning to get a visitor visa. Something has come up, so now I will not be able to have such a long stay. Instead, I decided I'd just take the 10PM ferry to Macau and return after midnight to get a visitor's visa.

    My question is whether it's actually necessary that I go all the way to Macau to do this. Can I just 'exit' HK through customs at the ferry terminal, wait until midnight and come back in? It just seems like such a waste to spend 2 hours on the ferry for this.

    Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.

    BTW, my China visa expired a few weeks ago, so heading up to Shenzhen isn't an option.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    45

    One problem is that when you come back, you'll have to fill in a landing card, and on that landing card you will have to indicate what ferry you came in on. Should the immigration officer ask to see your ferry ticket (which they often do, for visitors), you could end up in a fair bit of trouble.

    You might just hop over to Immigration today and ask for a visitor's visa, I'm sure they'd give you one.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934

    You don't need to stay overnight in Macau. There and back any time does it.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    TST and Macau
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by yc9:
    One problem is that when you come back, you'll have to fill in a landing card, and on that landing card you will have to indicate what ferry you came in on. Should the immigration officer ask to see your ferry ticket (which they often do, for visitors), you could end up in a fair bit of trouble.
    Never filled that in and was never asked. I'd try it and if running into problems tell them you forgot something very important at home that you need in Macau.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 07-03-2011 at 01:00 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You don't need to stay overnight in Macau. There and back any time does it.
    Not if you're trying to switch from Employment to Visitor status - you have to be out of HK at Midnight on the day you Employment Visa expires.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    TST and Macau
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Not if you're trying to switch from Employment to Visitor status - you have to be out of HK at Midnight on the day you Employment Visa expires.
    But that just means go around 23:45 for the 00:30 ferry. But it is too late now anyway. I hope the OP will report how it went.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 08-03-2011 at 08:05 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    But that just means go around 23:45 for the 00:30 ferry. But it is too late now anyway. I hope the OP will report how it went.
    That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

    I took the 10:30PM ferry from HK to Macau and got on the next ferry straight back. It's a real shame there isn't a better process for this. Either way, I got my visitor visa so I can finish packing for my move this coming Monday.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg:
    That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

    I took the 10:30PM ferry from HK to Macau and got on the next ferry straight back. It's a real shame there isn't a better process for this. Either way, I got my visitor visa so I can finish packing for my move this coming Monday.
    There is - did you even try going to the immigration dept and asking? They can often do it for you - as noted in the thread above.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    There is - did you even try going to the immigration dept and asking? They can often do it for you - as noted in the thread above.
    I did ask the immigration department about how to go about doing this. My options were to either file for an extension to my work visa or leave the country and re-enter to get a visitor visa. Since my fiancee and I wanted to go to Macau anyways, I didn't bother to do the work visa extension and I didn't further question if I could somehow get the visitor visa without fully leaving HK.

    I didn't expect my schedule to change, so I was just looking for a way to minimize the time it would take on Sunday to get the new visa. From what I was told at the immigration office, it seemed like leaving HK was the only solution. I just figured I'd check here first, incase someone knew differently.