Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vmlinuz

FYI: successful QMAS extension for a freelancer

Closed Thread

Smile FYI: successful QMAS extension for a freelancer

Just for anyone who may be passing - there's not much info out there about this stuff...

I received my QMAS visa in March 2009. I was working as a freelancer, registered as a sole proprietor with IRD by the time of the first renewal/extension last year. Submitted my paperwork, and they came back asking for essentially all the stuff listed in paragraph 71 of the guidance notes - most of which simply doesn't apply. I replied telling them that I effectively didn't have any of the stuff they'd asked for, and they came back pretty quickly and said okay, 1 year extension.

I was getting quite stressed this year because of the "business of a reasonable size" requirement - it's really not clear if that means a full-sized business as opposed to a side/part-time one, or if it means a business which is big enough to be employing people. Same thing as last year, submitted my application, then waited... Unlike last year, where they came back within a week, this year they waited almost 3 weeks (of a 4 week application period) to ask for all the stuff in paragraph 71. Again as last year, I replied telling that that I didn't have any of the paperwork, either because it's not relevant to me or sole proprietors in general, and they called me the next day to say I was approved for a 2 year extension.

In short, I was pretty worried that myself as a freelancer wouldn't be good enough to pass the "business of a reasonable size" test, but it wasn't queried at all in the end. For anyone else in a similar situation

PDLM and hksh like this.

Would you mind telling us whether or not it's big enough for you to pay tax? I guess that might be a test for them.

That's awesome. I hope it remains that easy to extend, because many people have been worried about the same thing. But then again, regardless of how much tax you pay in Hong Kong, I think if you have significant savings in local banks, a leased flat, etc, then your spending a lot in HK too, which is what they also need. It seems they have too much tax money already!

PDLM: plenty of tax, yes...

One of the things they suggest providing as evidence in the guidance notes is a recent tax return, which I didn't do, and which they didn't explicitly ask for. I don't know if they bother (or are able) to ask IRD for that sort of thing, but I did show them proof of my income (bank statements), so it's possible they extrapolated.