Visa for Non Degree Holders

Closed Thread

Visa for Non Degree Holders

Hi,

myself and my girlfriend are looking into relocating to HK. I work in the financial sector and can possibly get a transfer within my bank. She is currently applying for jobs out there. However we both are qualified to diploma level. I have read you need a degree for a working Visa in HK.
    Can anyone advise how strict this is if we secure employment out there?

Thanks

If you're on an internal transfer with a multinational then they should be able to make the case to ImmD that you have special knowledge or skills that they need, so not having a degree isn't a show-stopper per se.

For your girlfriend it may be more of a problem if she's just looking to pick up a job locally, but if you get married (assuming you are male) then she could get a Dependant Visa which would allow her to work freely without further Immigration paperwork. Alternatively, if she holds a passport from Australia, NZ, Ireland, Canada, Germany or Japan and is aged under 30 then she could get a Working Holiday Visa for a year to see whether she likes the place first (before marrying you!).

Thanks for your response, as you said I would be transferring within a multinational so hopefully they could make the case for me. My girlfriend would be able to apply for the 1 year working Visa as she meets the criteria under age and nationality. Would you be able to advise when the year visa is up, is it possible to extend this or what is the procedure then.

Thanks again

Picking up this question,

@PDLM
    Say I'm offered a job in the design field and lacking a degree, is there a chance for convincing the immigration dept to pass through the work visa?

What other road blocks might be expected?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsta:
    Picking up this question,

@PDLM
    Say I'm offered a job in the design field and lacking a degree, is there a chance for convincing the immigration dept to pass through the work visa?

What other road blocks might be expected?
    The most important criteria is that your employer has to be able to convince immigration that no locals are qualified to do the job. You need to have skills or knowledge (for example languages) that a local does not have.

A criteria I heard someone used to convince immigration was that they hired their employee based on the fact their network was more unique than a local.

The skill sets the employer is looking for are quite diverse and I have experience working with all of them which puts me at an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by decky67:
    My girlfriend would be able to apply for the 1 year working Visa as she meets the criteria under age and nationality. Would you be able to advise when the year visa is up, is it possible to extend this or what is the procedure then.
    The key thing is that it is a Working Holiday Visa. The primary purpose of it is to come on holiday. It has a restriction that you can't work for the same employer for more than 3 months, and you can only have one. At the end of the one year then she would need to find some other sort of visa. That would either be an Employment Visa (which would still have the problem of no degree etc but an employer she had worked for during the year might be able to make a stronger case to ImmD that they couldn't find a local to do the job) or a Dependant Visa (if she married you). Studying here to get the missing degree would also be an option, getting her a Study Visa (but I think it would need to be a full-time course and there are very limited options allowed for employment as well whilst on one of those).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The key thing is that it is a Working Holiday Visa. The primary purpose of it is to come on holiday. It has a restriction that you can't work for the same employer for more than 3 months, and you can only have one. At the end of the one year then she would need to find some other sort of visa. That would either be an Employment Visa (which would still have the problem of no degree etc but an employer she had worked for during the year might be able to make a stronger case to ImmD that they couldn't find a local to do the job) or a Dependant Visa (if she married you). Studying here to get the missing degree would also be an option, getting her a Study Visa (but I think it would need to be a full-time course and there are very limited options allowed for employment as well whilst on one of those).
    confuse about your last sentence - "very limited options allowed for employment" for student or when the student graduate? after they graduate, options for employment are still limited? why? I think they can take up any kind of job after they graduate, am I right?

Thanks.

Clearly (at least for those competent in English) "very limited options allowed for employment" refers to the period when you are on a Study Visa. After graduating you can get an Employment Visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates, which allows you to work quite freely.