ROA or RTL?

Closed Thread

ROA or RTL?

My husband holds a 3-star HKID. He was born in HK but has been residing in the UK since he was in his teens. We have 2 children aged 2 and 6 and we all hold British passports. What are the chances of me and the children getting ROA or RTL? Does the 3-stars in a HKID indicate ROA and 1-star RTL? We will be visiting HK very soon so if this is something we can apply for while we are there we would like to do so. What kind of documentations do we need to provide to support the applications? I also read somewhere that online appointments have to be booked 24 working days ahead. Is that right? Any advice would be appreciated.

No chance. The *** indicates, roughly, that he is a Chinese Citizen of Hong Kong (and * the same for people under 18), but since he was clearly settled in the UK at the time of the kids birth then they have no right to anything. You get no right to anything by marriage.

Lots of stuff about this here: A Guide to the Right of Abode in Hong Kong

If you wanted to live in HK then you would all very easily get Dependant Visas and then if you resided here for a continuous period of 7 years you could apply for ROA.

Last edited by PDLM; 08-03-2011 at 07:49 AM.

We would ideally like to move to HK to settle...possibly in the next 12 months but of course the question of immigration and whether I have the right to work are issues that we need to sort out before we can even consider selling up the house and giving up the jobs here. If we can sort out our immigration status we would be looking into uprooting ourselves before the end of 2011. If we can't apply for this while we are on holiday next month is this something we can do in the UK?

You mentioned that it's easy to get Dependent visas if our intention is to settle in HK permanently or at least semi permanently but won't the fact that my husband has not worked in HK before be an issue? Does he not have to be our sponsor? By sponsor I would assume the person has to be financially responsible for the people he is sponsoring (?) If they accept proof of employment and financial status in the UK we can provide everything easily.

Thanks for your advice earlier PLDM. I know you have a vast amount of knowledge judging from all the other posts I have been reading.

Getting Dependant Visas is the way - he does have to be your sponsor, but if you have a reasonable amount of assets that you can show (in the UK is fine) then it shouldn't be a problem. With a Dependant Visa you can work (or study) freely.