Like Tree1Likes

I have dual citizenship, I already have U.S. passport, can I also apply for HK passport?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Also, make sure you really need this, because if you obtain Chinese travel documents, you will lose your consular protection in Hong Kong and China, and will be treated as Chinese in the mainland should you ever encounter any difficulties. If you don't go to the mainland every week, then i suggest you just get an APEC travel pass. I have many Chinese American and Canadian friends that are PR's but don't get the home return permit of Chinese HK passport for the above stated reasons.
    I always have questions about this and still couldn't understand it.

I have both HKSAR passport and the Return Home Permit before I get the US passsport. So, which government is going to give me protection, let's say in China? Does it depend on what document I use to enter the country? Is it true that because I'm living in the US now and a US citizen, I should not use the Return Home Permit to enter China?

If I was in London from last incident because of the bad weather, could I get on the plane from the US government, Chinese government, or HK government? or neither of them?

Thanks!

You are regarded as a Chinese national by all Chinese authorities (including Beijing, Taipei, HK and Macau). Beijing, HK and Macau authorities do not recognize your US citizenship. Taipei recognizes your dual nationality.

You are regarded as a US citizen by Washington. Washington does not recognize your Chinese citizenship and encourages you to use your US passport to travel to China.

As a Chinese citizen, according to mainland Chinese laws, you should show your HRP when you enter and exit mainland China. You have access to assistance from HK ImmD when you are in mainland China.

Because your US passport shows that you were born in HK (or China), a Chinese consulate would not issue a visa to you unless you provide evidence showing that you are no longer a Chinese citizen (the consulate may or may not contact HK ImmD to verify if you have renounced Chinese citizenship). Some Chinese citizens did obtain Chinese visas in error and entered/exited mainland China on their US passport without any problem. However, if this person is involved in a problem during his/her stay in mainland China, the local police will be easy and happy to find out he/she is a Chinese citizen. US consular assistance will be denied although he used a US passport to enter the country. Nevertheless, entering China on a US passport does give the US consulate a good ground to try to intervene and assist.

Technically, the UK authorities has a right to deny your access to US consular assistance if you entered the UK on an HK passport, and vice versa. However, no matter which passport you used when entering the UK, leagally or illegally, Washington will always regard you as a US citizen and make every effort to provide consular assistance to you as long as your US citizenship is verified. I wonder if Beijing will assist you when you are in the UK on a US passport. I know certainly that, apart from issuing PRC Travel Documents, Beijing would refuse to provide any assistance to Chinese citizens in the US if they are illegal immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by mingming:
    I always have questions about this and still couldn't understand it.

I have both HKSAR passport and the Return Home Permit before I get the US passsport. So, which government is going to give me protection, let's say in China? Does it depend on what document I use to enter the country? Is it true that because I'm living in the US now and a US citizen, I should not use the Return Home Permit to enter China?

If I was in London from last incident because of the bad weather, could I get on the plane from the US government, Chinese government, or HK government? or neither of them?

Thanks!
    mingming likes this.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It helps me in planning my trip to HK and Beijing later this year.