Like Tree21Likes

Chinese Name - A new identity

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake many international students from Asia do when they are studying in the West - if I meet another Calvin Klein I will scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    because his Chinese is just incredible (牛逼)
    I don't really know what 牛逼 means but I found it from Google. It is surely a phrase from China, not from HK. Glad to learn it though!

So, it may tell why he calls 大牛?
    Last edited by mingming; 14-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mingming:
    I don't really know what it means but I found it from Google. It is surely a phrase from China, not from HK. Glad to learn it though!

So, it may tell why he calls 大牛?
    well. it was just a joke.
    My thinking is that some of Daniel's Chinese ( not so educated ) buddies came up with "DaNiu" as Chinese name.
    OR ,perhaps, Daniel has chosen this name intentionally in order to boost his career.
    Fact is, "DaNiu" sounds somewhat similar to "Daniel" and at the same time it also sounds somewhat funny to mainlanders.
    "很牛" is a common phrase which is usually used to express someone is smart, bright, or talented.Can be used in any field / situation.
    It is very colloquial Chinese ( if not to say street slang ), and that is where part of the fun comes from.
    Last edited by Morrison; 14-03-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    mingming likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    well. it was just a joke.
    My thinking is that some of Daniel's Chinese ( not so educated ) buddies came up with "DaNiu" as Chinese name.
    OR ,perhaps, Daniel has chosen this name in order to boost his career.
    Fact is, "DaNiu" sounds somewhat similar to "Daniel" and in mainland China it also sounds somewhat funny.
    "很牛" is a common phrase which is usually used to express someone is smart, bright, or talented in.
    Can be used in any field / situation.
    I think you are completely correct on this especially the "Daniel" = "DaNiu".

first thing first, chinese transliterations of english/western names are pretty corny, hence why chinese person with western names (well, the ones who can understand chinese) would never tattoo on themselves.

chinese transliterations of english/western names for and used westerners is very acceptable, but will/may be different when using mardarin or cantonese for translation.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    first thing first, chinese transliterations of english/western names are pretty corny, hence why chinese person with western names (well, the ones who can understand chinese) would never tattoo on themselves.

chinese transliterations of english/western names for and used westerners is very acceptable, but will/may be different when using mardarin or cantonese for translation.
    Definitely using Mandarin and Cantonese for translation will make a different. That's why I had difficult time to understand why the guy picked "DaNiu" as his Chinese name.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya:
    Whatever you do, don't make the mistake many international students from Asia do when they are studying in the West - if I meet another Calvin Klein I will scream.
    I live next door to Beatrix Potter

I originally wanted my Chinese name to be Wat Wen Wong but my wife put her foot down..

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ming Ming

No it's Big Mountain not Big Cow lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Da Shan's English name is Mark, not Daniel.

actuallly 大牛( dai nau transliterated in cantonese) has a masculine meaning and represents power and strength, more accurately means large bull than a cow.