Domestic Helper - Philippine Insurance?

Closed Thread

Domestic Helper - Philippine Insurance?

Hi,

I am in the process of employing a new domestic helper from the Philippines. We are using an agency to handle the paperwork. The HK visa has been issued, but the agency is now telling me there is an additional charge required for "Philippine insurance" which is required before the POEA (Philippine Overseas Employment Agency) will process the paperwork. The cost is HK$1123, and arises from a new Philippines regulation that came into effect in November last year.

Before I pay this amount, I just want to make sure this additional cost is to be expected (given I have already paid a package price to the agency to handle paperwork).

Many thanks

I believe it is - this is just another money grab by the corrupt and utterly-failed state that is The Phillipines. Regrettably the HK Immigration Department connives in all this corruption so you don't really have much choice.

Really? In what way do they connive in it? I thought it was at the Philippines end?

They require that you get the approval of the Philippines Consulate before approving the visa. This is something unique to FDH visas (the British Consulate didn't need to approve my Employment Visa), there is no good reason for it, and it exists solely so that the pockets of corrupt Philippine (and Indonesian) bureaucrats can be lined.