Like Tree9Likes

Definition of spouse

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No chance at all. "Spouse" is defined in the dictionary as someone related by marriage, and marriage is regarded in almost all jurisdictions as something that can only take place between a man and a woman..

However, I did meet someone today who after a lot of effort managed to get a Dependant Visa based on a (heterosexual) Domestic Partner agreement in the US. Apparently they managed to persuade ImmD that there relationship was equivalent to a marriage.

Last edited by PDLM; 25-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No chance at all. "Spouse" is defined in the dictionary as someone related by marriage, and marriage is regarded in almost all jurisdictions as something that can only take place between a man and a woman..

However, I did meet someone today who after a lot of effort managed to get a Dependant Visa based on a (heterosexual) Domestic Partner agreement in the US. Apparently they managed to persuade ImmD that there relationship was equivalent to a marriage.
    Thanks for the prompt reply! May i ask a dumb question? Did they take this to court or did they simply convinced a immD officer?

They convinced an Immigration Officer. You won't get anywhere in court. Spouse is clearly defined in English. The fundamental situation is that the laws of HK do not recognise homosexual legal partnerships. If you can't live with the laws here then I suggest you find a country more amenable to your lifestyle choices.

The legal advise from PDLM is sadly correct, however 'lifestyle choices' surely refers to whether to buy organic or not, or what car to buy, I rarely hear of the desire to shag your wife as a 'lifestyle choice'.

I always find it odd that people never think to refer to heterosexual relationships as a lifestyle choice, but homosexual is all about choices and anti-social decisions.

AIP and ahyi like this.

So very profound.

I just regurgitated my Beard Papa

For a moment there I started to google what the hell a 'Beard Papa' was, then I had one of those rare old-school moments of thought that I'll await my own discovery of a Beard Papa in real life.