Like Tree9Likes

Definition of spouse

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Definition of spouse

Does anyone know whether the definition of spouse in HK for the purpose of immigration include common law partners?

Thanks a million!

common law partner isn't recognised by immigration.

So you have to get married.

And the marriage needs to be between people of the opposite sex.

virago and januasiaexpat like this.

I know the definition of wife is:

Washing
    Ironing
    Folding
    Etc...

Though I do know my wife is not keeping up her end of the deal, but I am not sure what spouse stands for. I knew a guy that had his common-law wife and kids here, but he worked for the consulate, so I guess if you work for the government, IMD looks the other way.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    And the marriage needs to be between people of the opposite sex.
    And of the same species. (For some people, it does have to be stated: Toowoomba Man Marries His Dog)
    Fiona in HKG and thisdress like this.

For opposite common law, not same sex this seems to be the answer.

See this thread as Skyhook is usually pretty aware of this stuff as is Rani who has a post just a bit below his where the partner got an extended tourist visa.

As PDLM is wont to say... Just get married, it's a trivial piece of paper. In fact it's like sex. Great when doing it but can have unintended consequences like divorces and division of assets.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread39243.html

This answer from Skyhook suggests NO.

Short Answer no.

Long answer, it is possible to get an extended tourist visa arranged for partners that are in a nationally recognized defacto relationship as per an official letter from thy country's consulate, unless China is your country, which then, negates all recognition of anything but "Married" couples, with the purpose of dependence...

I know the above because one of my Aussie mates working on a HK work visa, managed to allow his partner to stay in HK for extended periods of time, ( 12 Month extended stay Visa ), but it took a year of back and forth, bureaucratic paper shuffling.

Still can't work in Hong Kong etc, but for the purpose of keeping a couple together, it's fine....

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-01-2009 at 07:31 AM.

ReverendJay,
    That's a bit sexist.
    That's my description you have written there and I am most definately the husband. I am here with my wife who is working.
    There are some very narrow minded or just very out of date people on this forum.
    And to correct you further you forgot cooking. I do plenty of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by SK65:
    ReverendJay,
    That's a bit sexist.
    That's my description you have written there and I am most definately the husband. I am here with my wife who is working.
    There are some very narrow minded or just very out of date people on this forum.
    And to correct you further you forgot cooking. I do plenty of that too.
    You need a sense of humour round these parts, Which you clearly don't.

SK65, if you had continued reading, you would see where I stated she is not keeping up her end of the deal..read between the lines...I am doing it. Last week the universe was totally out of alignment, as I was home ironing my work shirts while she was out drinking in Wan Chai.

My wife also prefers my cooking, which to be honest, is better than hers.

Now put down your National Enquirer, turn off your Soap Opera's, take the curlers out your hair and go have a beer.

Last edited by ReverendJay; 24-03-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    virago, thisdress and dipper like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast