Transfer to HK with no Degree?

Closed Thread

Transfer to HK with no Degree?

Hi Guys,

I am based in Sales, have been with my company for 4 years and have been officially offered a transfer to our New HK operation as there is a skill shortage locally. I have signed all my documentation and just found out online I may need a degree to be accepted in HK for a Work Permit?

Is this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by UK123:
    Hi Guys,

I am based in Sales, have been with my company for 4 years and have been officially offered a transfer to our New HK operation as there is a skill shortage locally. I have signed all my documentation and just found out online I may need a degree to be accepted in HK for a Work Permit?

Is this the case?
    A degree is not necessary. What is needed is for your employer to demonstrate that you have unique skills, understanding, expertise etc that cannot be hired locally. There any many HK visa agencies that can help you fill in the form. Unemployment in HK is quite low now, so that also helps you. Basically if the employer mentions it is expanding, needs expats to assist the the HK office etc, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    A degree is not necessary. What is needed is for your employer to demonstrate that you have unique skills, understanding, expertise etc that cannot be hired locally. There any many HK visa agencies that can help you fill in the form. Unemployment in HK is quite low now, so that also helps you. Basically if the employer mentions it is expanding, needs expats to assist the the HK office etc, you should be fine.
    That is re-assuring to know, the business needs people out of London who understand our products, who can train the local stuff and help build a culture for success, they can't fill this role locally. They say 80% local people and 20% Expat to provide the structure/setup/ How difficult are the Visa's to obtain/how long?

If your company is sponsoring the visa and all your documentation is in order, it shouldn't take too long. I got mine in two weeks, I think it takes around a month at the most.