work visa for dependent sponsored by student

Closed Thread

work visa for dependent sponsored by student

I have been offered a PhD scholarship to study full-time in Hong Kong. The scholarship includes a small stipend of HK $13240 a month, however I am not permitted to do any other work. I had planned for my wife to work to help support our income but I have just read the fine print on the HK immigration website that states that as a dependent on a student visa she has a limited right to abode, but cannot work.

She could try and get a sponsored work visa herself, but a fear for her chances. She is Indonesian, has excellent English but not native and doesn't speak Chinese. She has a degree and several years experience at an International bank in Jakarta, but she is still young and has not reached management level or developed any unique skills.

I would be interested to know if anyone has experience with this type of situation, or has suggestions on how to get her a work visa as i really don't want to turn down this opportunity.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

If she has a degree and work experience it's not out of the question that she could get an employment visa (especially if the job she would do involves a salary > $20k p.m.). It just means that the company has to do paperwork. In practice that would limit her options to larger/international banks, but since she doesn't speak Chinese that's where she would be looking anyway.

It appears that she would have enough points to apply for a QMAS visa which would give her the right to work freely. It takes several months though, so the timing may be an issue.