Like Tree8Likes

Urgent! Please Help! Need advice on extending visiting visa in HK!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Urgent! Please Help! Need advice on extending visiting visa in HK!

Hi all! I'm in need for some advice for my friend. She is from Korea, been in HK for 3 months and she wanted to stay longer, so she went to Macus hoping she can get another 3 months extension when she returns to HK on the same day. Somehow the immigration Ppl gave her a really hard time and only gave her a 3 days visa! WTF... So right now I'm wondering what can she do to stay in HK for a few more months. She's not working in HK at all, just taking a long vacay cuz her brother works here. Please if anyone can give her some advice I'd really really appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance.

Cheers,
    Becky

Last edited by Beckilie; 12-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Unfortunately that's just how it is, you aren't entitled to so called "visa runs". If they suspect youare living there, they'll kick you out.

Probably the only way for a longer stay is to find a job or go to school there.

She should be glad they gave her at least 3 days. It might have been better if she had stayed overnight in Macau. Maybe.

Assuming she still has a home back in Korea, she could return for a week to 10 days and come back again if it is affordable to purchase the extra return-ticket.

Thank you all so much for responding. She's gonna go to the immigration office Tmr hoping to extend her visa, but my advice for her is to expect the worst and go from there. I just feel for her cuz I went through my share of immigration problems... I hope it all works out.

the immigration office will only extend the visa if she has an emergency type of situation affecting her or her plane ticket isn't available within 3 days. the immigration people at the border are typically less strict than those at the actual office (wan chai), so 3 days is pretty much all she has as sad as it is to say. her best bet is to head back to south korea -- if she's got a place there, stay for a while -- then come back. whatever she decides to do, make sure she doesn't overstay her 3 day visa, things will get complicated really fast if she does

What would happen if she overstays her 3 day visa? I just think it is unreal for her to just pack up and leave in 3 days.. well 2 now. I would think that she has to pay a lot to buy a ticket back home in such short amount of time. This just sucks! I imagine a lot of people do this "visa run" through Macau successfully. Makes me wonder why they would give a girl such a hard time...

If she overstays:
    - if they are being nice : your friend will get a small fine and told to leave immediately and not come back for xxxx months.
    - if they are not in a good mood : your friend will get thrown in jail and after she comes out, she will be thrown out of Hong Kong forever

It is not a good situation to be in, I would not recommend trying their patience.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by Beckilie:
    What would happen if she overstays her 3 day visa? I just think it is unreal for her to just pack up and leave in 3 days.. well 2 now. I would think that she has to pay a lot to buy a ticket back home in such short amount of time. This just sucks! I imagine a lot of people do this "visa run" through Macau successfully. Makes me wonder why they would give a girl such a hard time...
    3 days is already nice considering they could have just denied entry for suspicion that she was trying to reside in Hong Kong. People do try to pull it off, but it's definitely grey area, and unfortunately they put the book on her.

A thread to bookmark for the future.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast