Tax Clearance Certificate at Airport

Closed Thread

Tax Clearance Certificate at Airport

Is it necessary to show a tax clearance certificate at the airport when leaving the country permanently? I don't actually owe any tax as I haven't earnt over $100,000. I'm reluctant to go through the correct process in obtaining any documentation because I left my employer some time ago so there is no question of them withholding any income. They are also unlikely to help me because things were not done properly - working for months before my work visa came through etc. Does anyone know if you are required to show a tax clearance certificate at the airport? Many thanks.

Er, how would Immigration know that you intended to leave permanently? If you are still within the validity of your Employment Visa then you could go through the e-channel without talking to anyone anyway!

Thanks PDLM. My work visa has been cancelled. I checked with immigration and even though I can't work on it anymore I can legally stay in the country until it expires. The idea was to find another job and give notice of my new employer to immigration but I couldn't find anything decent and have now found a good job abroad. So I thought immigration at the airport might ask me if I was coming back because if I did it would have to be on a tourist visa. If I say no, they might then ask about the tax issue which I obviously want to avoid as I don't think they would take my word for it that I don't owe (although I really don't). Tell me about the echannel though - my HKID must still be valid do you think I can just swipe and go or will I attract attention because of the above. I also know that in some other countries it's the airline staff at check-in that ask to see your tax clearance form. If that is the practice in Hong Kong, then they will certainly ask me because they will see I have a one way ticket. Thanks again.

The airline certainly won't ask, although they might want evidence of your right to remain in the next country if you have a one-way ticket (it depends on which country and what the immigration policies are there).

If your work visa is still unexpired then I believe you are free to leave and re-enter as you wish up until the expiry - it isn't a case of "next time you leave that's it". That being so I assume that your HKID would still be valid so you would be able simply to go through the e-channel in the normal way. It would only be flagged if your immigration record showed that your Visa had expired and hence that your HKID was no longer valid.

Last edited by PDLM; 10-04-2007 at 05:40 PM.

That's great, thank you so much.