No degree but job offer. Work Visa help.

Closed Thread

No degree but job offer. Work Visa help.

A jewellery designer and his company are looking to employ me but I am worried the pay and the fact I have not finished my degree would make it quite difficult for ImmD to make my application go through. I wouldn't mind working on a lower pay as I see good things in the future at this company and in Hk.

I'm not a jewellery designer myself but my skill set is what the he needs for helping him run his office, showroom, and develop his brand internationally as well as here.

What points should I highlight or how to approach marketing myself so the ImmD would feel they should grant me the work visa.

I hold a US passport.

He needs to show no local can do the job.

How much pay is he offering? Less than 20HKD per month will make it harder.

You need to show specific skills not available in HK - only you know what they are!

On the lower side at 12K plus possible commission. Does that factor in?

Very unlikely that as a non-graduate with a salary of $12K you would be able to get an Employment Visa unless you have some very specific skills. And if you do have some very specific skills one has to ask why they wouldn't be worth more than $12K?

Would there be a way to "make it work"? Increasing the salary would fix it, but are we talking about 20K or if I go back and ask for $16k do you think it'd suffice? What other things can make this go through.

I want to work with this brand and they also want me. We are both meeting in the middle as I require a lot for this visa but at this point they are unable to pay for it and I'm alright with that.

Why do they want YOU. If you can get them to explain why they need YOU and not any old person, then you are half-way there to proving that a local could not do the job. 16k is still low, but getting closer.

Look at the "how much do you earn" thread, you'll see the range of salaries for people on employment visas. 16k gets you out of the lowest 5% but usually 20k is the number that is thrown around.

The most important thing is you have to show you have specialized experience or talent not readily available in HK. If the salary is too low, Immigration will suspect that you are doing a basic sort of job that the company ought to be able to find a local to do. They are also more skeptical if it's the first time the employer is trying to sponsor an employment visa.