Like Tree12Likes

here as a tourist but my limit of stay is expiring

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

here as a tourist but my limit of stay is expiring

Hello,

I came here 3 months ago on January 21st and I was issued a 90 days visa free period. My 90 days is up on the 22nd I believe. I don't have money to fly out and the consulate here has taken my passport. They took it because I owe them a few dollars in service fees etc.

I don't have money to exit to Macau or fly to (edited). I also haven't gotten my passport back after giving it to the consulate here. They want their fees before giving it back. My dad accused me of bad business before I came here and hasn't offered me money to establish myself here. I have spent everything I brought now.

I want to ask what I can do to avoid any dificulties with immigration. I don't know what sort of punishment I could expect if they got wind that I'd gotten stranded and overstayed by a few days. I've never overstayed before and I'm not sure if it's something they see expats doing all the time or something they take offense to. I'd leave to macau if I had a passport or money to.

The consulate's offered to repat me to (edited)
    but I declined after I learned the ticket offered was for a city that I've got legal expenses I cannot afford to pay.

I'd appreciate any replies on what'd be best to resolve this proactively instead of overstay by a few days.

Last edited by richardlow; 20-04-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Young man, and I'm assuming that you're a young man. It's time to take your medicine. You need to present yourself at immigration tomorrow, what will follow will flow naturally from the outcome of that meeting. However long it takes to sort out the mess you're in now, better to make a start on it now and see the end of it sooner.

jimbo likes this.

beg or borrow money from friends or family. pay your dues for your passport. get your passport. go to macau.

then get yourself "home"....f*cking immigration is NOT an advisable or smart pastime. you need to get yourself sorted out, and soon.

jimbo likes this.

if consulate is offering you a ticket home, take it and thank your lucky stars. who cares which city it is? you need to start facing the consequences of your bad decisions and poor judgement.

Satay Sue likes this.

When you told your consulate you about to overstay they didn't mind? I would assume they would try to help you out somehow even if you owe they money they shouldn't be forcing you to overstay in any country.

Good advice by Bryant English and Carang

If you haven't got any $$ left then sell whatever belongings you have to get the funds necessary to get your passport back. What exactly have you been doing here since January and didn't you realise your consulate won't give you your passport back if you can't pay the fees?

Is this the return of our "friend" Bougainville?

Fiona in HKG and JaredHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Is this the return of our "friend" Bougainville?
    Thats the first thing that came to my mind.

HC

i must have missed something about bougainville.

Anyway if your offer from the consulate to return to bougainville then you might as well stay here!

InigoMontoya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    What exactly have you been doing here since January and didn't you realise your consulate won't give you your passport back if you can't pay the fees?
    I've been visiting a girl that's only a friend and she's taken me on a few walks around, I've been mostly hanging around eating fast food and drinking beer. A few months ago I ran out of money but I got a small amount wired to me by my friend and I got a little from a cheque I recieved here from back home. Now I am out again. I don't want to ask my friend again because I told him I didn't take the flight I'd had booked and I haven't repaid my last debt.
    I don't know what amount the fees are because I didn't take the flight and it's in the process of being refunded. I called them to tell them to call my parents and let them know what's happening.
    I don't know what immigrations all about here. I know I should leave to macau and I'm ready to but they've got my passport and I've spent the last of my money. I read on their website there's fines and jail for overstayers. I know they prosecute people for overstaying but I'm not working or from mainland China.
    I am staying in Kowloon now but before I stayed on the island and that ate up extra money. I've never travelled alone for any time so it's a learning experience for me. I thought my parents would send me something to get by but at this stage still haven't.

I got the consular people irrate by not catching a flight back and one man said to never seek assistance again from them and that i'd die on the street or in prison. I'm not trying to create some troll like thread here. I wanted to ask mainly what immigration does if you want to leave after an overstay, ie do they let it slide or stop a guy from boarding a flight and call the person to attend a hearing?
    Are fines standard policy like in the mainland wher they won't release a person until they pay?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast