BBC visa question

Closed Thread

BBC visa question

Hi All,

I have just got a transfer to HK and my girlfriend wants to come with me. She is a British Born Chinese. Her parents were both born in the NT's.

If she brings their birth certificates, passport, marriage certificate (etc) can she apply for an ID card/visa which will giver her the right to work in HK without being sponsored?

I have been reading the previous posts but still a little unclear?

Thanks.

It depends on what the citizenship/residency status of her parents was when she was born.

If they were both "settled" in the UK at that time then she's just like any other Brit, and you'd need to marry her to get her a Dependant Visa.

For the longer version: A Guide to the Right of Abode in Hong Kong - HKID for ABC, CBC, BBC

Last edited by PDLM; 20-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks - i've read that guide and still not 100% sure lol

So easiest thing will be to email the immigration service and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It depends on what the citizenship/residency status of her parents was when she was born.

If they were both "settled" in the UK at that time then she's just like any other Brit, and you'd need to marry her to get her a Dependant Visa.

For the longer version: A Guide to the Right of Abode in Hong Kong - HKID for ABC, CBC, BBC
    Well I don't know if there are other factors involved but that wasn't true in my situation as my parents had settled 8+ years in the UK before I was even born and I have it.

OP - just ask immigration, its their job to help with stuff like this, rules change etc I would of thought she'd be able to get RTL.

Thanks London2HK - it sounds a similar situation. I've emailed immigration so hopefully they will come back to us soon and she can get the RTL.