work permit expired - i forgot about it. advice please

Closed Thread

work permit expired - i forgot about it. advice please

My work permit expired in march 2011 (it's a 1 year work permit) and I forgot about it totally...entirely my fault. I am on vacation overseas and will be back in Hong Kong next monday after the easter break. I am still employed with the same company. I am slightly worried - a couple of questions:

1. will airport immigration allow me to re-enter Hong Kong when they see my work permit has expired?

2. my HK ID card has also expired (together with my work permit). Can I get an extension for both work permit and Hong Kong ID card at the Wanchai immigration department at the same time, or are they separate processes?

3. For documentary proof, I need a letter from my firm and passport. What else is required?

Thanks!

1) Yes. They will give you a tourist visa but they may also give you hassle while giving you tourist visa.
    2) HKID doesnt expire. They last forever.
    3) You need to apply for a renewal of work permit. It will be more than just a letter.

HC

The key thing is that when you arrive at Immigration you need to grovel. You are clearly in the wrong and you need to be very humble and apologetic.

And then within 1 working day of arriving you need to get down to Immigration with all the stuff you need for the Extension of Stay.

And if you were hoping for PR you just have to hope that they let you off with that short break when you come to apply. Some people get away with it, and for some the clock is reset to zero by the break in valid visas.