Like Tree5Likes

Student Visa Part-Time Program

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmen:
    I just received a message that they will send me the visa by courier. good luck with yours betorulez!
    Hey! Congrats dutch! How long did it take you? I sent all the visa documents last Monday (cross fingers). Im a little bit concerned because deadlines are approaching, Ive planned to arrive at Hk on July but I dont know how long will the visa take. Do I need the visa before landing at HK? Or can I enter with a tourist visa and get the student visa once in HK? Anyone knows?

Thanks!

Thanks! As far as I know you need the visa before you start with the intended activity (work/study) but once you have a certain visa you can change it if you meet requirements (sponsor, funds, etc). Pdlm pls advice? They send in my visa on the 20th last month and I received their confirmation mail today. So under 4 weeks... The earlier and comprehensive (resume, university degrees, the better) Fingers crossed for your visa!

Sent from my iPhone 4, Yeah!

As dutchmen says, you need the visa before beginning to reside in Hong Kong. However, if you're confident it's coming there's no real problem getting here first on a visitor visa to look for a place to live and so on; you can activate your study visa once it is issued simply by taking a quick trip to Shenzhen or Macau. I would expect though that the uni or school where you are studying would require the visa to be issued and activated before you can commence your course.

betorulez likes this.

I see! Immigration will send me the visa by courier to my place of residence, won't it? I think I could book my flights now (prices are rising) and arrive with a tourist visa. Someone from Spain will send me the visa to HK and meanwhile Ill be looking for a place to live. Once received the visa at HK, quick trip outside of HK and activate the visa. Are you sure there won't be any problem with that?

Definitely I need the visa before starting the program but I could save time arriving a couple of weeks earlier and arranging all issues.

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys!

That is pretty much what many people do, so I doubt there will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That is pretty much what many people do, so I doubt there will be a problem.
    Ok! So, start looking for flights now! Many thanks!

Hi Betorulez, would be great to know how this turned out for you. I'm also going to apply for a postgraduate part time course starting next September and would love to know if you were able to stay in HK during the days you were not studying. Also read somewhere that you need to leave to go back to your 'domicile' after your classes. Like you I'm European....can see it being expensive.

Be useful to know how easy it was to find work as well and whether companies are willing to sponsor you for a work visa if your skills excelled their requirements.

Out on a student visa and get sponsored for the course duration is the plan. Otherwise beg.

Hope you're having an amazing time!

(Thanks for all your comments too PDLM, they were super useful!)

For fulltime course, Your visa will be valid for the whole course year. There is no restriction on stay during the summer as the visa is for the whole year, but students prefer to go back as they have to pay the dorm fee..which is not so cheap.You cant work on a student visa. You are only allowed to take oncampus jobs for only few hours relevent to your study. Even for internships during the study or summer you have to get prior approval from immigration..

You cant apply a part time as immigration wont approve in most cases but you can try as mixed mode which is almost like part time.

Last edited by shafiq; 04-10-2012 at 09:30 PM.