Visa Extension, Job Chances, Work Visa...

Closed Thread

Visa Extension, Job Chances, Work Visa...

Hi guys..

im planning to go to HK later this year, but these things have been lurking around in my head so i think i need some helps and suggestions, im wondering :

1. is one month quite enough to find a design job (fashion/apparel) in HK (since im only granted 1 month tourist period)...? i already got probably 40-50 companies infos, few MNCs, which im going to contact them straight when im in HK, i have applied from my home country, so far only 1 company give a response, so i thought probably i got much better chance if im physically in HK..but is it a month enough ? (got arts degree, currently doing fashion college, some freelancing sales experience, few local design competitions honor, good english-well at least friends think so, conversational mandarin, and zero cantonese)

2. is it better to apply for extension once im already in HK or when im still in home country..? if im applying for extension once im in HK, is it possible to show a return ticket that is scheduled 2 or 3-months from the time im coming in HK (lets say come to HK in Aug 1, and hold a return ticket at 1 Oct) ? would i get into trouble if at inbound custom they found out i have a longer period of return ticket than 1-month free visa period allowed..or is it better to purchase a new return ticket at HK and dump my old return ticket, then go at immigration ask for extension..? or else ?

3. is it possible to apply for extension when i got a first initial interview, and what should i show at the immigration officer..?

4. is it possible to wait in HK when i got a job offer and going through a work visa process (tourist visa extension while waiting for work visa process), or should i go back to home country or travelling around waiting for the work visa finished like some other threads suggests here ?

i know my questions is somehow confusing, but hey thats what im thinking at the moment and it really really makes my head dizzy....so any replys and infos are really appreciated....

thanks

What is your reason for extending the visa? Looking/interviewing for work is not a valid reason whatsoever.

It may be better to do a visa run at the three week mark instead of applying for longer stay. Visitor extensions can be ugly interviews and if anything looks off at all or like you are looking for work you will not be granted it. HK IMMD is a little racist and is doubtful to give extensions to South Asians anyways.

Don't do a visa run right as your visa expires. After 3 weeks in HK you can leave and come back. You should get a stamp for a month from coming back. Coming from South Asia it will most likely only work once though. So use time wisely.

HKChigger

well are they that racist towards any other 'races' ? im indonesian from chinese parents, but can i call myself a chinese because im a indonesian citizen.. can i also call myself indonesian, with a fair skin and small eyes and oriental looks that i got.. why people have to be racist well i cant understand that..racism sucks

i jsut want to find a job, and if thats the case then perhaps i should take a day trip to macau and back to HK..keep my fingers crossed still

regards
    anthony

hey anthony
    my gf is in an exact position as you are in right now ( we're both indonesian chinese)

let's keep each other updated bout the job hunting

Thumbs up

1. is one month quite enough to find a design job (fashion/apparel) in HK (since im only granted 1 month tourist period)...? i already got probably 40-50 companies infos, few MNCs, which im going to contact them straight when im in HK, i have applied from my home country, so far only 1 company give a response, so i thought probably i got much better chance if im physically in HK..but is it a month enough ? (got arts degree, currently doing fashion college, some freelancing sales experience, few local design competitions honor, good english-well at least friends think so, conversational mandarin, and zero cantonese)

Strongly suggest that you have scheduled appointments for when you arrive suggest that you do not contact MNC / People once you are here bu do so beforehand .... the last line of your e-mail/letter should say something like: I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you briefly to discuss the possibility of an opportunity with [COMPANY NAME]. I will be in Hong Kong from December 24, 2003 to January 13, 2004. Prior to my arrival in Hong Kong I will telephone you to discuss a possible time or you can e-mail me at [EMAIL ADDRESS] to schedule a time convenient for you. Looking forward to talking with you in the near future.

This approach will allow you to maximize your time. Additionally, I suggest you checkout the chamber of commerce websites and other industry appropriate organizations to see what events they have going one - so you can attend an exchange business cards and make contacts. Be sure to have business cards with a HK number and your e-mail address. If you offer your card first most of the time people will give you there's - if you have no card then people will not give you a card. When you get a card be sure to follow up via a brief discussion over a drink - these discussions should be done with the intent to build your knowledge by learning from another professional's firsthand experience (KEY: People love to talk about their professional success and YOU want to learn from their experience)

2. is it better to apply for extension once im already in HK or when im still in home country..? if im applying for extension once im in HK, is it possible to show a return ticket that is scheduled 2 or 3-months from the time im coming in HK (lets say come to HK in Aug 1, and hold a return ticket at 1 Oct) ? would i get into trouble if at inbound custom they found out i have a longer period of return ticket than 1-month free visa period allowed..or is it better to purchase a new return ticket at HK and dump my old return ticket, then go at immigration ask for extension..? or else ?

You could simply tell them that you will be doing some traveling in mainland China (be sure to have a visa) then plan on traveling back via Hong Kong. However, the rules may be somewhat different based on your passport (traveling document)

3. is it possible to apply for extension when i got a first initial interview, and what should i show at the immigration officer..?

An extension for job hunting purposes is NOT allowed - and an initial interview is not reason enough - in fact an initial interview does not mean you will be given the position and even is a RISK as you are almost just about admitting to violating the terms of your visitor's visa - immigration is very likely not to be kind to you in this situation.

4. is it possible to wait in HK when i got a job offer and going through a work visa process (tourist visa extension while waiting for work visa process), or should i go back to home country or travelling around waiting for the work visa finished like some other threads suggests here ?

This is GREAT you are completely optimistic but it is not as easy for some. I have friend with similar experience as yourself who was looking for a design job and has settled for an internship (on a training visa) with a small stipend - it took her 8 months. Granted she did not really have direct contacts with organizational decision makers and it took her a good 4-6months to make have solid contacts so you are already ahead of the game as you stated before you have done your 'homework.'

A simple run to Macau or Shenzhen is enough to activate your visa - although a person who is not familiar with the visa filing process will tell you that but it is simply not true.

Keep in mind timing is everything as well .... if you plan on coming in June be sure that industry people are around at that time to meet and talk or not heading out for summer holidays.

Also suggest that you don't rule out Shanghai as I have heard the market is hot there in the design field.

Best of Luck and a continue to STAY MOTIVATED --- as it will get you a lot further!