HELP - dependant visa

Closed Thread

HELP - dependant visa

My fiancee moved to HK from the US a little over 2 months ago for work and is in the process of getting his HK ID card. I have recently joined him and am currently in HK on a tourist visa which is due to expire in 2.5 months. We were planning on getting married after he received his card in the hopes of making the dependant visa application process for myself a bit easier, but after reading the HK immigration site's information on the application process I'm finding myself a bit skeptical as to our plans. From everything I've read theres a whole process of proof that needs to be given showing that we're not vying for a green card wedding or anything of the sort. We've been together for over 2 years, but due to an ill timed computer crash, we've lost all photos of us together prior to about 6 months ago. All my intentions are legitimate, but I'm starting to freak out about particulars. If there's any advice or information on the process that anyone who has been through it can give, I'd be oh so appreciative.

Thanks,
    Micah

I'm confused by the timing here. He cannot legally have moved until he had a Visa, and he is then required to apply for his HKID within 14 days (and would receive it 14 days later). So quite how he's been here for 2 months without a HKID card I'm not sure.

I should have been informed by my company that i had to get a HKID (as i didn't know about it before then) and was here for almost 3 months before i got an HKID card. There were no problems when i got it, and there have been no issues with using it since.
    I'm sure I am not the only person not to know about HKID cards and i won't be the last. I'm not sure if there is a limit as to when you should apply, but as i say, it was almost 3 months after i arrived that i got mine.

to the OP: do any of your friends/family have photos of the two of you? either with them or just the two of you?

Op: Do you have any emails from two years ago. If you have any where you plan dates with him and negotiate which restaurant etc you could also use that to backup to your story.

For the computercrash: if the computer crashes the hard drive might still be fully functionally. And if it breaks nowadays there are services where the read of from the raw platters that are inside.

Good luck anyways!

Sent from my iPhone 4, Yeah!

(duplicate - sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by katiem84:
    I'm not sure if there is a limit as to when you should apply, but as i say, it was almost 3 months after i arrived that i got mine.
    Yes there is, it is actually 30 days after you arrive, not 14 as I stated above.
    GovHK: Applications by People Aged 18 or Over
    If you are a new arrival aged 18 or over and have been permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, you must register for an identity card within 30 days of arrival.

Other than pictures, if both of you know each other well enough, that might be something you can convince the officer. How about air tickets that you both went for vacation? or joint account statements?

Last edited by mingming; 04-05-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Yes - even matching passport stamps are good.