Like Tree7Likes

Question about Working Holiday Visa overstay

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by debito128:
    no one is asking for any sympathy here from anybody

and i know she is in the wrong ... but can you tell me one week is enough time to wrap things up?
    I wrapped up 14 years of life in Tokyo in 6 days. I had a husband and four year old son (still have both), large fully-furnished apartment (not large any more!). Definitely do-able, though liable for a couple of penalties for early termination of contracts (Cable TV, etc).
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 05-05-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Sounded like I was leaving them behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I wrapped up 14 years of life in Tokyo in 6 days. I had a husband and four year old son (still have both), large fully-furnished apartment (not large any more!). Definitely do-able, though liable for a couple of penalties for early termination of contracts (Cable TV, etc).
    Thanks, we (me and my wife) will see what we can do to help her ... hopefully everything will be alright ... guess the coming to Hong Kong in the future part is largely at the hands of the immigration officer who will see her when she comes in the future ..... guess i hate the unknown but we all will have to live with that somewhat.

Apologies again, now i looked back at it, that last post did look like a rant.

Another question

Putting that aside, i do have another question though:

Instead of her being offered an extension, from what I understood, she was offered to pay $160 in order to leave Hong Kong and go into China without any "flags" (?) but she wasn't guaranteed that she could get back in if she returns .... wonder what really was behind that, and has anybody gone through that before?

Putting that aside, i do have another question though:

Instead of her being offered an extension, from what I understood, she was offered to pay $160 in order to leave Hong Kong and go into China without any "flags" (?) but she wasn't guaranteed that she could get back in if she returns .... wonder what really was behind that, and has anybody gone through that before?
    I'm speculating as something similar happened to me :
    She overstayed. The $160 was an on the spot fee for granting an extension, before allowing exit from HK. Once an extension was granted, she was allowed to leave.
    Many people, aside from paying the $160 also get charged a fine; it seems she was not given a fine this time, most likely she was nice and not being a pest.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm speculating as something similar happened to me :
    She overstayed. The $160 was an on the spot fee for granting an extension, before allowing exit from HK. Once an extension was granted, she was allowed to leave.
    Many people, aside from paying the $160 also get charged a fine; it seems she was not given a fine this time, most likely she was nice and not being a pest.

HC
    I hope you don't mind that I ask more about your experience.

So did you take up that offer, and when (if) you return, did you get into issues with immigration?

My issue was slightly different. I was on a work visa and completely forgot that it expired. I had overstayed by a few days. I paid the fee, existed, went to Macao and came back next day. During re-entry I was given a tourist visa and then I had to go to immigration and get a proper work-visa extension.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    My issue was slightly different. I was on a work visa and completely forgot that it expired. I had overstayed by a few days. I paid the fee, existed, went to Macao and came back next day. During re-entry I was given a tourist visa and then I had to go to immigration and get a proper work-visa extension.

HC
    I see, thank you for your post. when you applied for the extension did they ask you about this "flag" though?

no one is asking for any sympathy here from anybody

and i know she is in the wrong ... but can you tell me one week is enough time to wrap things up?
    Yes, considering she should have started to do so before her visa expired. What does she have to do that she can't do in a week? And "enough" time or not, that's what Immigration have given her and they probably didn't even have to do that but have offered her some leeway as an over-stayer.

The "flag" refers to overstaying. She was overstaying, paying $160 would have cleared that overstay.

There is never any guarantee that anyone will be admitted into HKG, but if you are nice, not smuggling things, have no criminal records etc etc, there is no reason why you would not be let back in.

HC

Thanks everyone for your advice ...