Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Citizen Obtaining China Visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool U.S. Citizen Obtaining China Visa

I'm going to Hong Kong this summer and I would like to apply for a China visa when I'm there.

I checked many sites and there seems to be a significant price difference if you are a U.S. passport holder. Is it true that a china visa cost 140 USD? and if you are not a U.S. passport holder, it's only 20-30 USD?

Can you link me to a good website with the prices and more information? Or if you have knowledge, let me know how much a typical visa (single or multiple entry) cost with a U.S. passport.

Thanks.

What is your residence? Is it Hong Kong or the USA? If you are a resident in the USA you MUST apply for a visa at the Chinese embassy/consulate in the USA.

As of about two months ago.

The laws and rules change all the time. I mean--quite frequently. But as of a few months ago US citizens who are resident in the USA must get their visa in the USA. I've seen quite a few backpacking US tourists in the Chinese visa section here in Hong Kong walk away basically in tears that they cannot get a visa because they are not resident in Hong Kong. US Citizens who are in Hong Kong and possess a Hong Kong ID card can apply here in Hong Kong. The cost is also different depending on your passport. Again, reciprocity vs. the US costs for Chinese citizens and petty politics often comes into play, but you will pay more.

You will likely not be able to get a multiple entry unless you have previous Chinese visas in your passport. You may get a dual entry visa allowing you to enter twice within a six month period.

If you are planning on just a quick shopping trip to Shenzhen while in Hong Kong, save the money you would have spent on a visa and buy it in Hong Kong. If you are planning for a longer trip into China as a tourist, get the visa sorted out before you leave.

Last edited by penguinsix; 07-05-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    chingleutsch likes this.

I've seen quite a few backpacking US tourists in the Chinese visa section here in Hong Kong walk away basically in tears that they cannot get a visa because they are not resident in Hong Kong.
    First I have heard of US passport holders (on tourist visas) not being able to get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong.

For the OP, look at the Chinese Embassy for visa costs.

If you apply in the US, you can usually get a 12 month multi entry visa - mychinavisa.com is often recommended as a reliable agent.

If you apply in Hong Kong, you pay the same price but are probably limited to a double entry visa (assuming you are able to get a visa in Hong Kong).
    Last edited by drumbrake; 07-05-2011 at 01:37 PM.

I don't think it used to be that way, but was part of changes for the 2008 Olympics that have been slow to unwind.

If you look at the Foreign Ministry's webpage, they've even gone so far to put it right at the top of the page like a 'sticky'.

NOTICE
    (2008/04/13)

Visa applicants are increasing in a large number and need longer waiting
    time in the visa office recently. If you don't reside or work in Hong Kong
    permanently, you are required to apply Chinese visa from the Embassy
    or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in your resident
    country. You are welcome to China for tourism, business and visit .

Address/Office hours/Enquiry service

However, there are other sites that say it can be done, but I've witnessed denials twice in the last three months while in their getting visas for myself and my family.

http://gohongkong.about.com/od/trave...sa_updates.htm

My advice would be to just get it done before she left.

Last edited by penguinsix; 07-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.

That notice was put there prior to the 2008 Olympics. During the Olympics it was very difficult for non Hong Kong residents to get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong, but this rule was relaxed for most nationalities after the games had finished.

There are the world student games in Shenzhen this August which might affect Chinese visas.

I agree that it would be wise to get the Chinese visa in the US first.

Last edited by drumbrake; 07-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    That notice was put there prior to the 2008 Olympics. During the Olympics it was very difficult for non Hong Kong residents to get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong, but this rule was relaxed for most nationalities after the games had finished.
    That sort of mirrors what I'm reading. It's seems to be getting easier but is by no means guaranteed one way or the other. There is also the US passport rub, in that changes for US citizens often come well after changes for other nations (if at all). Not only differences in price but things like 'border / day visas' which are still basically unavailable for US citizens.

OP: Let us know if you find out anything official in talking with the consulate/embassy.

The university games definitely seem to be the new reason or excuse for a new visa crackdown. A lot of agencies that can normally arrange mainland visas cannot currently do so. As of earlier this week even the FAO and CTS would only process single entry visas for non-HK or Macau ID holders no matter how many previous visas there are in your passport, and even then some of the regulations that I haven't seen applied in the last 15 - 20 years are being enforced: you need to produce both a confirmed onward booking to another country (Taiwan, HK and Macau don't count) AND your itinerary including confirmed hotel bookings.
    If anyone knows of any agencies that can bypass these requirements I have friends who would love to know!

P.S. FAO and CTS were also insisting on not having hard copy photos any more, but a high definition CD - they retain the CD.

While you guys are on this topic, what is the best travel agent to get a multiple entry Chinese visa at nowadays. I am on a QMAS visa now, but although I had one year multiple entry/90 day China visas in my passport from before CTS was always telling me that I could only have a multiple entry 6 month tourist visa.

This will be the first time applying with a QMAS. Price is not the issue, but less hassle is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    While you guys are on this topic, what is the best travel agent to get a multiple entry Chinese visa at nowadays. I am on a QMAS visa now, but although I had one year multiple entry/90 day China visas in my passport from before CTS was always telling me that I could only have a multiple entry 6 month tourist visa.

This will be the first time applying with a QMAS. Price is not the issue, but less hassle is.

Thanks
    how much hassle would going to the issuing offices in wan chai and more than likely get a year one, if you prefer, you still go to CTS try your luck on a visa longer than 6 months

The FAO told me they are not currently issuing one year multiple entry visas if you don't already have HKPID or a full 3 years to run on your current HK visa.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast