worried

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

worried

hello,
    i recently had a shock when i went to get my work visa extended. i am employed as an english teacher and thats all my visa permts me to do . However about a year ago i did some pt work for a music centre(who paid me either by cash or check but said they wouldnt give my name). The man at immigration asked me what i knew about this centre (which he named) and weather i had ever worked there. i told him i used to take music lessons as a student but was never employed there. he took a copy of my pass port and never extended my visa . im a little in the dark now as weather to contact them again or wait for them to contact me. also wondering what the potential implications of all this are ?hope that was clear Thanks in advance

My guess would be that the Music Centre got tax audited and decided to come clean. I suspect you may be in some trouble. Personally I always feel it is best not to lie to officials in a country in which I wish to stay - the problem now is that not only have you broken the rules, you have lied when asked about it, so I wouldn't be entering into any long term commitments here if I were you.

The Immigration Ordinance specifies a fine at Level 5 (HK$25,000 - 50,000) and two years in prison for breach of condition of stay.

yes,

if he named the music store, it means they named you, and it is on your fat little file on the Immigration Officers desk. They get paid to pick up these details. I would say you have been smoked out, and will not get an extension. DON'T sign anything declaring you have not worked for them. That will be taken as fraud, and you will be put in the clink.

My new employer made a stuff up when he applied for my transfer of sponsor, and said some dumbstuff in his letter (I worked for a business that had branches, and i worked between branches, so he told them i worked part time in each place..). they gave me hell until i signed a declaration saying i did not work part-time and that i understood offenders or fraudulent statements carried a fine and a term. luckily for me i was clean. but in your case, i'd be concerened, and not sign a thing, apart from a contract back home.

Sorry, it is a shame, and I would not wish this on anyone, but rules are rules...

The big shame is the music store will not be affected, as they will claim they did not know about your visa etc...

DDF

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    The big shame is the music store will not be affected, as they will claim they did not know about your visa etc...
    No - it is an offence not to check an employee's immigration status. Also punishable by prison and a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No - it is an offence not to check an employee's immigration status. Also punishable by prison and a fine.
    Is this a constant danger in working black?

So that it is unwise to do a little english teaching part-time?

or is this just a danger with companies rather than individuals?

i've taught privately for over 12 years. i have had lawyers, police officers, customs and excise officers, judges, etc as clients (teaching their children)....you never know who your client is when you take them on...so, just be aware that you ARE BREAKING THE LAW and then decide what you want to do...(ps. i've always had the appropriate visa status to be able to teach privately)

most places tolerate private teaching..
    but if you do it in a registered company, just report the income...
    its not worth the deal...

the thing is, that it doesn't matter if the company will tolerate it. it is illegal... the question is are you willing to risk the consequences of getting caught. many people are, but many people are not.

sorry, when i said places, i meant the inland revenue authority. i have not heard of inland revenue authorities clamping down on private tution income.

but if one is to do it systematically through a company or through a school, then the auditing of the company's account will show out your name and get you in trouble if you don't report.

it's extremely unusual that the ird and hkid share information as there are potential breaches to the data protection of privacy ordinance.

there's something else going on here, perhaps someone from the music centre reported you to the id. doesn't look like the ird spoke to the hkid

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast