Like Tree12Likes

ABC with HK born mother born in the 1940s. Can I get ROA or RTL

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

jchew, I wish you good luck! Although your case is a little complex, I think you still have a chance because of your mom's BDTC status. Hopefully the immg. will get back to you soon. Keep us posted!

To be honest from what we've talked about, I don't think it'll work out, but you never know what can happen!

I maintain slim hope, but was surprised they did didn't reject outright. Waiting for my parent's naturalization papers. Strange I've never seen them so it should be interesting to go through them when my family emails them to me. After I submit docs next week I think I should know affirmatively or negatively very soon. Thanks all for your support, thoughts, and comments.

I would not be so sure about that "very soon".
    Actually, the longer the wait the higher the chances, I would say.
    Sometimes they might need to ask their superiors.
    Give it at least another 2 to 4 weeks.

Question - is there a difference between "permanent residence" and "indefinite stay". I have to tell Hong Kong immigration that my mom was one or the other. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jchew11219:
    Question - is there a difference between "permanent residence" and "indefinite stay". I have to tell Hong Kong immigration that my mom was one or the other. Thanks.
    Just to be clear, you're asking if there are different definitions of these terms in the US Immigration System? Or is ImmD asking you to somehow map US Immigration terminology onto HK terminology?

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply. Okay, I got a letter back from immigration. They are asking for a few more things. One thing is the form: "Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card (Supplementary Information)". One of the questions on page 2 is the following:

"The overseas immigration status of the applicant's mother at the time of birth of the applicant:
    __ Permanent Resident
    __Indefinite/Unlimited Stay
    __Employment
    __Dependent
    __Study
    __Others

I have to check one. The only thing I know about my mother's status at the time of my birth was that she only had a Hong Kong CUKC passport that had one stamp. It was the stamp by immigration when she entered the United States via San Francisco. The stamp says "P2-2". I have no other travel documents. The only other thing I have is a naturalization document which she obtains a little over five years later. This document I will provide to Hong Kong immigration.

It is so frustrating because I can't find anything on "P2-2" on the internet. I even went to the US embassy and US immigration office in Central to ask them. They really sucked, and couldn't help me. They said I had to write a letter back home. The odd thing is that the P2 visa is a work visa for entertainers.

I am planning to check "Indefinite/Unlimited Stay". Because I really don't know what my mother's status was at the time of my birth. All I know is she married my dad in Hong Kong. Six months later she came to the United States where she stayed until she became naturalized. But at the time of my birth she was still a legal resident of Hong Kong. She had only been in the United States for five months when I was born.

I'm going to put in my QMAS this week, and start this whole cycle again. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Just to be clear, you're asking if there are different definitions of these terms in the US Immigration System? Or is ImmD asking you to somehow map US Immigration terminology onto HK terminology?
    My understanding is they are asking for my answer to the question I posted above in terms of the US immigration system.

I am going to go a little off-topic... One thing I've learned going through this process is how unjust the US immigration laws were to my ancestors. I'm American of Chinese descent. I've benefited from the changes in US immigration laws in the 1960s which allowed more immigrants of Asia descent to enter the United States. Before that US citizenship was typically not granted to the Chinese. My mother and father became citizens under the reforms to old immigration laws that limited immigration to the US from Asia. I've always taken my American citizenship for granted. I hardly gave any thought to it growing up. I had an inkling that many Chinese living in the United States really struggled to obtain a green card or US citizenship, but I never lumped myself into that group. Going through this exercise of trying to get a Hong Kong Identity Card makes me better understand what immigrants to the US go through. Anyway.. I digress..

If she never had a green card and it was prior to her naturalising as a US citizen then I think I would put "Dependant". My guess is that her visa to stay in the US at that time was dependant upon her staying married to your father.

If you tick permanent resident or unconditional/indefinite then I think the application will be rejected immediately because in that case your mother will obviously be deemed "settled" in the US.

jchew11219 likes this.