Like Tree48Likes

Should I move to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Should I move to Hong Kong?

Hi guys, I'm from Australia, and in a pretty comfy job in the IT field. Was toying the idea of working in Finance field in Hong Kong; going to graduate with Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance, and Diploma in Technical Analysis end of this year.

Wanting to be in the forex order taking team, hearing that the salary is about HKD$35k a month for newbies; which is a bit low (I think?)

Couple with the stress and longer working hours, I am really indecisive about moving to Hong Kong!

Could someone comment or help me out in my thought process?

btw, my initial motive for moving to HK to work in a financial field is to earn a bigger pot of gold in the future (about 2-5 years)............

1) do you have a visa/resident status that allows you to work in hk?
    2) do you have any connections in the finance industry in hk?
    3) do you have any experience in the sector?
    4) what would YOU be able to provide to an employer here that is not already available in hk? (that is what the immig will want to know)
    5) have you ever been to hk? what do you know about the place other than "you can make loads of money"?

Hong Kong Sucks | Hong Kong Sucks yeah, it's great! See you!

Those greedy newbies that come to HK solely in it for the money are always in for a rude awakening.

Yes the moneys good but you'll be working damn hard for it and you'll be pissing it away as quickly as you'll earn it.

bryant.english likes this.

You should try if you have a chance to settle in HK

JPI, you seem like a very nice guy. I notice you are positioning yourself as the welcoming committee and advice provider. What kind of advice do you give and how much do you charge for this service?

1) do you have a visa/resident status that allows you to work in hk?
    ==> no, but I have enough points to apply for the immigration to have the right to work/live in HK

2) do you have any connections in the finance industry in hk?
    ==> no, my private banker friend will pass my resume to the headhunters,

3) do you have any experience in the sector?
    ==> IT field in finance sector currently

4) what would YOU be able to provide to an employer here that is not already available in hk? (that is what the immig will want to know)
    ==> i reckon my "certs" are good enough for it,

5) have you ever been to hk? what do you know about the place other than "you can make loads of money"?
    ==> been to HK for holidays, looks like everything is cheap there, can't say that about lodging though,

actually, i personally don't think the money is tHaT good if you compute by this; (basic salary + bonus + paid leave) / no. of working hours in a year.
    just something to put in my resume for future references,

you should, but not for the money but to broaden your horizon.
    Going to other countries will have the same effect.

What is so wrong about going to another country for, primarily, the money? Am i just being uncouth?

How many of us expats actually came to Hong Kong to "broaden our horizons"? I spend most of my day in the office and get paid a lot to do it. I could be anywhere in the world with the same effect. That lure, rather than the very many interesting and varied things HK offers (which I am beginning to be very grateful for and love) entied me to come here.

Hong Kong is a great. Don't let people put you off.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast