Work Visa in progress

Closed Thread

Work Visa in progress

I have some questions about reentering Hong Kong while i'm on a tourist visa from the USA.

I have accepted an offer and am submitting my work visa application, however, I was advised the following:

to be aware that you should not come into Hong Kong during the time of application for the reason that as soon as the visa is issued you will have to leave Hong Kong and return through the airport.

I am planning to travel while the work visa is in process, is the advice I was given incorrect? I assumed that I could enter/exit as I please as I have a multiple entry visa to China so I don't necessarily have to enter/exit via the airport.

Any past experiences/advice would be appreciated.

Did IMMD advise you or did your HR department send that to you?

I'd email [email protected] for clarifications...

Quote Originally Posted by entropyfan:
    you will have to leave Hong Kong and return through the airport.
    This could be new, but doesn't sound right. Plenty of people return through a ferry pier, should work for the land border too..

Just to be safe, check it out with immi...

HR. I'm definitely following up with IMMD on this one. I want to travel a little bit before I'm pwned by work!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Did IMMD advise you or did your HR department send that to you?

I'd email [email protected] for clarifications...

You should be fine - I assume you can enter HK multiple times as a tourist on your passport - as long as you don't work in HK until your visa is approved I don't see why you can't travel here.

If you are in HK when your visa is approved - it just means that you have to leave and re-enter HK to activate it. In this case you can always just take a day trip to Macau or China, or a longer trip somewhere else and re-enter HK on your visa.

Oh and P.S. - the visa doesn't have to be activated "as soon as it is approved" - they give you a time period on the visa to "activate it" - I think mine was approx 2 months? But just check with immigration as suggested above.

Last edited by BEL; 08-05-2007 at 12:51 AM.

>> Plenty of people return through a ferry pier, should work
    >> for the land border too..

Absolutely -- which is why the original sounds rather made up.

I'm going to travel regardless. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by entropyfan:
    I have some questions about reentering Hong Kong while i'm on a tourist visa from the USA.

I have accepted an offer and am submitting my work visa application, however, I was advised the following:

to be aware that you should not come into Hong Kong during the time of application for the reason that as soon as the visa is issued you will have to leave Hong Kong and return through the airport.

I am planning to travel while the work visa is in process, is the advice I was given incorrect? I assumed that I could enter/exit as I please as I have a multiple entry visa to China so I don't necessarily have to enter/exit via the airport.

Any past experiences/advice would be appreciated.
    Jeff - congratulations on getting an offer babe (and on accepting it), that's fantastic!!!! Why didn't you mention it last night?? Definitely have to buy you a drink when I get back next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Choccywoccydoodah:
    Jeff - congratulations on getting an offer babe (and on accepting it), that's fantastic!!!! Why didn't you mention it last night?? Definitely have to buy you a drink when I get back next week.
    Thanks!!! It's my first baby step to world domination. (LOL!)