Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By neha
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Dependent visa - New visa collection date AFTER current visa expiry??

Closed Thread

Dependent visa - New visa collection date AFTER current visa expiry??

Hello. This site has consistently been more useful and efficient than emailing directly so here's my question...

I recently applied online for an extension of my dependent visa and today I received confirmation by email that it has been accepted, with the following instructions:

Please present this notice together with your valid travel document at counter no. 30 of this office on 15-06-2011 between 09:00 - 11:00 or 14:00 – 16:00 hours

This sounds fine, except for one thing: My current visa expires on 14th June, the day before.

I'm sure they wouldn't have made an error, so I assume it's ok for me to be in HK for a few hours without a visa in my passport... right? Is this because technically I have a visa, just not physically in my passport? I haven't paid the fee yet, so it does confuse me somewhat that the new visa is valid even for one day

Just want to make sure I won't run into trouble!

Thanks,

Joe

I'm sure you'll be fine, although I'm quite surprised. Personally if I were free I might try rolling up at about 3:30pm on the 14th and seeing if they could do it then, explaining the situation.

justjoe86 likes this.

Its fine. Yours happens to be only 1 day without a visa, but other people could be longer. I was stuck for about a week when I did mine i think. It just depends on when you submitted the application. If you did it 1 month before expiry, then you will get new visa before old one expires. But if you do it only 2 weeks before expiry, then new one will come a few weeks after old one expires. Immigration will just tell you not to leave HK during the period you dont have a visa, then everything will be fine.

justjoe86 likes this.

It happened with our son's visa. His visa was expiring on 26-2-11 and we had applied on 14-2-11 and were called to collect his visa on 28-2-11. I asked the immigration officer if i should get an extension, he said it was not necessary as we already had the paper confirming that his visa was approved

justjoe86 likes this.

Ok thanks for info everyone. I applied 3 weeks and 2 days prior to expiry date so I couldn't have been much quicker. Maybe they need to review the system and let you apply for an extension 8 week ahead instead.

Im afraid that would never fly. Its just too practical and involves the use of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Im afraid that would never fly. Its just too practical and involves the use of common sense.
    Haha I agree, but then again my experience in Hong Kong for these types of things is SO MUCH BETTER AND MORE EFFICIENT than the equivalent in UK.

Example: if my wife wants the equivalent visa in UK she has to pay about 10,000 hkd and the same again for every renewal. This would be tolerable perhaps, except if the visa is declined for whatever reason, there is no refund! Scary stuff imo

Considering it's so much easier for *either* of us to earn a living in Hong Kong, this is crazy! I guess it's true that a lot of dodgy immigration is happening so they need to take measures but the priority should be a background check to make sure marriages are not "convenient" rather than just demanding so much money! Or maybe they could have a different system for certain visas in the same way as hk has for domestic helpers.

End of rant.